Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New to the site...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question New to the site...

Hi everyone...im new to the site...i just picked myself up a 2004 f150 fx4 with the 5.4L,extended cab,and 6 1/2 foot bed....im looking to do some lil mods to it just to help the performance and look of it a little bit...I was wondering what type of Mods would you reccomend and what brands are the best?.....i was thinking a cold air intake,leveling kit,probablly a tune,exhaust and idk what else yet....any help i s aprreciated....thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-1Fizzy
Hi everyone...im new to the site...i just picked myself up a 2004 f150 fx4 with the 5.4L,extended cab,and 6 1/2 foot bed....im looking to do some lil mods to it just to help the performance and look of it a little bit...I was wondering what type of Mods would you reccomend and what brands are the best?.....i was thinking a cold air intake,leveling kit,probablly a tune,exhaust and idk what else yet....any help i s aprreciated....thanks
Welcome...
CAI kit is a good start, and if you dont have the $260+ then try a simple K&N filter replacment.

Exhaust is also a good start. You can get a cat-back system from most hi-perf muffler manufactures, though im my opinion they are a complete waste of money. If your not going to go true dual's, then simply buy a good straight thru style muffler (magnaflow, pypes race-pro, dynomax welded, etc...) no larger that 18" and have a muffler shop cut out the stock and weld in the new. Remember, your stock piping is stainless, its a shame to just through that out. Also, dont skimp on the muffler get a stainless one, they are generally less than $100, and the shop work should not cost you more that $100.

After you get one or both of the above, then invest in a tuner. Then really after that engine wise, there is not much you can do that is worth while unless your willing to spend $4k or more.

Congrats on the new ride...enjoy it.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by FastFord08
Welcome...
CAI kit is a good start, and if you dont have the $260+ then try a simple K&N filter replacment.

Exhaust is also a good start. You can get a cat-back system from most hi-perf muffler manufactures, though im my opinion they are a complete waste of money. If your not going to go true dual's, then simply buy a good straight thru style muffler (magnaflow, pypes race-pro, dynomax welded, etc...) no larger that 18" and have a muffler shop cut out the stock and weld in the new. Remember, your stock piping is stainless, its a shame to just through that out. Also, dont skimp on the muffler get a stainless one, they are generally less than $100, and the shop work should not cost you more that $100.

After you get one or both of the above, then invest in a tuner. Then really after that engine wise, there is not much you can do that is worth while unless your willing to spend $4k or more.

Congrats on the new ride...enjoy it.

thank you very much....so you reccomend and specific CAI in particular....or it doesnt rele make a diff....im looking for the most bang for my buck with it performance wise...and as far as cost of it...im not too worried...i dont mind spending an extra buck on somethig better...and also for exhaust i would prob look to just do a muffler for now...im looking for that nice rumble...i have seen alot of f150s online with flowmaster delta 40s and super 44s...like i said...looking for the nicest and some what loudest muffler for the truck

thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-1Fizzy
thank you very much....so you reccomend and specific CAI in particular....or it doesnt rele make a diff....im looking for the most bang for my buck with it performance wise...and as far as cost of it...im not too worried...i dont mind spending an extra buck on somethig better...and also for exhaust i would prob look to just do a muffler for now...im looking for that nice rumble...i have seen alot of f150s online with flowmaster delta 40s and super 44s...like i said...looking for the nicest and some what loudest muffler for the truck

thanks
With the CAI some people are brand loyal, though you really cant go wrong if you stick with popular brands.

The deflector style mufflers (flowmaster, mac flowpath, spintech, etc...) always seem louder or at least more raspy than a straight thru style muffler.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 PM

o ok...thanks...hey have you ever seen those HID projection style headlights they sell on ebay or other car sites for the 150....there called HALO or sumthing like that...they look nice...but if i was going to do that i would want something very bright and they dont really show any good night lit shots of it...or any brands of lights someone can reccomend to me...and or show some pictures of how they look and how bright they are
Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't get a flowmaster, you will lose bottom end TQ.ppl used to have problems with the halos leaking so I would be leary.I wouldn't waste my money with a drop in filter btw, unless you just want better cleaning.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

How much are you looking at spending? Makes a difference in what kind of recommendations can be made. Tough thing is is once themod bug bites you it's hard to get rid of. I just got done dropping $1k in new gears for my truck and am looking at what I can do next.

A CAI, tuner and exhaust would definitely be where I started at, but it also depends on if you're looking for performance or appearance mods.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 AM

well...im def looking for performance before before looks....i wouldnt go with just a drop in filter...i would do the whole system....as for exhaust for now im looking to just get it to sound nice...until i get the cash to gether for a complete system....i like it to be loud but not annoying...any reccomendations for a good muffler to pick up?...also what specific brand seems to give you the most preformance with the cold air intakes?...

and as far as the halo lights...i just found those...they were cheap...if you have any other suggestions for a nice light setup like that...that may be more reputiable then im open for suggestions....as far as money goes...i dont really care for the most part as long as its a better product that im getting...and if it means saving up a lil longer for it then ill do that....thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by LovetheTide
Don't get a flowmaster, you will lose bottom end TQ.ppl used to have problems with the halos leaking so I would be leary.I wouldn't waste my money with a drop in filter btw, unless you just want better cleaning.
if i had flowmeisters, the loss of torque would be the least of my concerns, baffled mufflers shouldnt cause a loss of torque. I would be more concerned with the muffler case rusting out...

im a borla fan.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Troyer Performance has a package deal where you get the top 3 perfomance mods (CAI, tuner & exhaust) in one package. A little pricey at $1149, but that includes the complete cat back exhaust system. I went with a tuner and CAI from Troyer, but got my exhaust done locally. In the end though I paid less than $100 less than getting the performance package from Troyer. It all comes down to how much you have to spend initially. You can get all 3 together or piece meal them, but the costs will be the same in the end.

Quick Reply: New to the site...