Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New member. Opinions on truck welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New member. Opinions on truck welcomed

Hey guys new member .. Just a thread to show off the truck and share some plans for it

truck is a 2004 and has 287,000 miles on it. it had a problem with shaking under throttle and a blinking check engine light. I thought it was the trans so I had it looked at.. Turns out the trans is perfect! Guy says it was most likely rebuilt recently. then I read all the 10 codes myself and decided I wasn't gonna mess with it so I had an engine guy look at it. He said the truck was crazy clean espically for the mileage and it was smarter to just put a new engine in then to track down all the problems .. Long story short I have a new 5.4 sitting in my garage not put in yet. Also have a full magnaflow system (3 inch stainless piping 14 inch muffler) that im putting on the same day as the motor. Im pretty exited. Haha

What's done:
Kenwood touch screen head unit
Kenwood speakers all around
Kenwood 1000w rms amp
Kicker comp rt 10 inch sub
Pro comp 20x9 rims and 32(ish) inch highway tires
Tint on all windows (guy told me 20%.. I don't really have a clue it seems like 5 or less in the back)

Plans other then that are:
6 inch lift (hopefully within a month)
Chrome 20x12s (not sure which .. Thinking fuels) and 35s (probably toyo at2s)
Tinted windshield
Headlights
Billet grille
Powdercoat current wheels as winter wheels (don't have stocks)

Let me know what you guys think of the truck!

Last edited by Griffinbrown64; 05-10-2015 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 05-10-2015, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking truck! Can't wait to see that 5.4 go in and hopefully fix the problem!

Heres my truck right after I put the lift on it with a 6inch fabtech lift. Your truck will look good once you lift it!

Nice truck can't wait to see the progress on it!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the club! nice looking truck you have there. Good luck with the build
Old 05-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

it had a problem with shaking under throttle and a blinking check engine light.
I'd like to see the codes, the flashing light under accel would be a misfire, this could be a bad plug or coil. If the codes are p03xx those are ignition system codes. If you are set on the replacement, I hope you at least got one from an 08+ with revised heads to reduce headaches down the road. Granted the stock plugs are good for 100k, but I prefer to prevent headaches. Some of the issues may also be due to cam phasers as well.

With the motor out, it would also be a great time to hose down the engine bay. Be careful with the wire harnesses...some of them get brittle. Also review vac lines, I would imagine some are due for replacement with that many miles on it. Another thought would be headers or efans as well with the motor out.

Other than that, the truck is amazing for the age and miles. Can be a great platform to start with

Last edited by scobar; 05-10-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Truck is sharp and I like the looks of the wheels, but not sure of the offset on them. They seem to stick out a bit more than I like.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Thanks guys! So far im loving the truck. Im only 16 and literally every penny i make is going in to this thing. Not sponsored by mommy and daddy. Well except my dad bought the motor cause he knows a guy and felt bad cause he says i work too much as it is. Plus it's gonna be my birthday present haha. The motor is a 2008 replacement. Hopefully it all goes well and I'll keep you guys updated!
Old 05-10-2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by bro_turtle
Nice looking truck! Can't wait to see that 5.4 go in and hopefully fix the problem!

Heres my truck right after I put the lift on it with a 6inch fabtech lift. Your truck will look good once you lift it!

Nice truck can't wait to see the progress on it!
This truck is beautiful. Exactly the height im looking for. Those are 35s right? And will a rough country 6 inch be as tall as a fabtech or are they off a little? I know other lifts are better but im on a budget so I'll do what I can haha
Old 05-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

A rough country lift will lift it 6" but the drop brackets aren't a full 6" so you will not retain stock suspension angles. It's not a big deal if you don't want to make it bigger later on down the road. If you do want to eventually make it taller and you are on a budget, go with zone.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:41 PM

Just looked at the zone. Never heard of them before now.. You'd recomend them over rough country? Im not really sure if I'll go taller in the future or not but probably not. Then again .. 37x15.5s are sweet ...
Old 05-10-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Truck looks good. Gotta ditch some of the sticky chrome stuff though. I like the wheels, but a set of all terrains, or mud tires would look much better on them.

Quick Reply: New member. Opinions on truck welcomed