Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New member and looking for my first truck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow New member and looking for my first truck!

Hi all, well like the title says..I'm in the market for my first truck. I come from the world of coupes, F/I engines, and superbikes. All this leveling kits, 33/34/35 tires, and some other stuff is quite new to me. So, I will be bothering you guys with some questions and doubts that I might have (going to have) in the near future.

And to start off...there's a 2004 XLT 5.4L 2WD (if not mistaken) with 73K miles on it that I have my eyes on. What would be a good price on such a truck?

quoted info:
"MILEAGE: 72K

AUTOMATIC, POWER WINDOWS, POWER LOCKS, POWER MIRRORS, CENTER CONSOLE, CRUISE CONTROL, AM/FM RADIO, CD PLAYER, ACCIDENT FREE, CLEAN TITLE, EXTRA CLEAN TRUCK, MUST SEE

ASKING PRICE IS $9,990"

Paint is 9/10, cloth interior, no fog lights.

Regards,
Chris.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Price is good....I'm assuming a private seller, as a Dealer would be asking more. There's another thread going on right now about someone wanting to buy a truck and the price is around 15k; that's too high.

If it's a private seller, get as much of the service records as possible. I'd also recommend a Carfax report or simular. While not always perfect, a Carfax can show collision information; something you don't want to find out about later, after you bought it.

Get the truck checked out. While 72K in mileage is not even "broke in" for these engines, I'd still want to make sure the mechanicals are good. There's some history about the automatic transmissions on the 2004 to 2008 trucks, so have that checked. Some will chime in and report spark plugs being an issue, as the early 2004 to 2006 (I believe) 5.4's had issues with the plugs breaking when being replaced; others said no problem if you follow cautionary measures. The 5.4's can also "tic-tic-tic", which had to do with cam phasers. Again, have the truck inspected by a reputable third party mechanic. Cloth interior is not a big thing for me; I too had cloth on my STX, and just recently installed leatherete covers, as cleaning my light grey cloth seats became a weekly event.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-10-2010 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: New member and looking for my first truck!