Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New to me truck. Cam position sensor issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me truck. Cam position sensor issues.

I want to make a long story short. I JUST bought a 2004 F-150 with the 5.4 I bought it from a dealer, and it has a brand new crate engine in it. They had to send this truck to a different dealer, because they could not keep the MIL lamp off. Well, needless to say, it came back on while coming home. I sell used trucks for a living, at a different dealer. I was a tech for 13 years frior. I was hoping someone who has gone through this before can give me some clues on where to go with this thing as far as fixing it. Can someone please tell me what I need to look for??!! Thank you!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meek
I want to make a long story short. I JUST bought a 2004 F-150 with the 5.4 I bought it from a dealer, and it has a brand new crate engine in it. They had to send this truck to a different dealer, because they could not keep the MIL lamp off. Well, needless to say, it came back on while coming home. I sell used trucks for a living, at a different dealer. I was a tech for 13 years frior. I was hoping someone who has gone through this before can give me some clues on where to go with this thing as far as fixing it. Can someone please tell me what I need to look for??!! Thank you!
What are the trouble codes?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meek

If it is the cam position sensors that is an easy fix. The plugs are on the front of the block, and they can be bought at several different auto parts stores, if the plugs are broken, you may have to visit the stealership.

If the truck has a tapping, it could be the VCT solenoid, again something that can be picked up for a hefty price and wait at a parts store.

If it is the dreaded cam phaser failure... Best of luck to you.....

I had this problem crop up at about 65000 miles on my 07. Started idling rough. Then within the hour it started sounding like I had a Powerstoke diesel in it. Replaced both cam position sensors and plugs, mass airflow sensor, cleaned the throttle body, and so many other things over the past year I cannot remember them all, without my list which is sitting in the truck, and I am not going for it, I am not a duck. Basically, if the codes are po340, po345, po012 you can try the VCT solenoid, and I have heard that it does help the problem, or outright resolve it. If not, it sounds like the phasers have failed, and I have been told two stories. One replacing the phasers solves the problem. The second, time to invest in a new engine, as the old one is toast. I cannot verify either story because I am far too stubborn to believe either story, and could not believe what the tech at the stealership was telling me, until I threw everything at it.

Last edited by Farmer John; 03-02-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM

There are no strange engine noises or anything like that. It came up as a p0340 code. CPS. but I recently found out that there is another issue going on that this dealer declined the repairs on. Paper from the Ford dealer says there is another code for the Intake manifold runner control stuck open. They declined the repair.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intake manifold runner isn't a bad job. Take the manifold off and it just bolts on. Good chance if they just put a motor in there is a knock sensor or ect wire restricting the arms from closing or it could be the actuator itself. As for the cam problem I wish you the best of luck. It could be 1 of many things.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just bought this from a dealer, with a new engine etc, surely you should be taking it back there and getting them to find the issue?

Don't go jumping to cam phaser issues, with a new engine the only way the phasers or timing gear will be making noises already is if the oil pressure is far too low and damage has already occured.

If you start listening about camp phaser issues.....research it well, they are not usually the first thing to fail in that system, which means changing them is not the answer.....

Pull the codes for information and then start pressing the dealer to sort this out.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM

I have had it back to the dealer where I bought it from. And they sent it back to the Ford dealer. They have diagnosed it down to replacing the PCM. It's all warranty work, so I shouldn't even bother looking into it as much as I am. But I was a Chrysler Tech for 12 years, and really have a bad habit of trying to diagnose things that I shouldnt be worrying about.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds promising that they have changed the PCM and great that its under warrenty too!

I've just done the entire timing gear replacement and it sounds perfect, but I am having the occaisional stalling issue and last night got both CPS fault codes up!

I'll be watching this thread for any other pearls of wisdom you can share!

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM

They haven't replaced it yet. Appearently, PCM's are hard to come by, Even from a dealer. Eternal backorder!!!! I will try to figure out how to post a pic of the truck. I am in love with it!!!

Quick Reply: New to me truck. Cam position sensor issues.