Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New to the Forum,

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Forum,

Hey,

Great info here on the Forum. I just picked up a 2005 FX4 6.5 foot bed with 47k. Great shape, previous owner was a mechanic and took really good care of it. He has a fiberglass cover on the bed with pneumatic lift. Very nice piece, but not for me.

Anyone have an idea of what these are worth and are they in demand. I ride motocross, so I won't need this cover. Wondering if its worth trying to sell this or just take it off and scrap it. Its not easily stored if it ain't on the truck.

In terms of Mods, where do you guys think that money is best spent? I want reliability and performance. Suspension and ride seems great the way it is. The truck is leveled in the front, so it sits great.

Thanks for any help and I'll be tackling the plugs soon, as well as tranny service and all the other routine stuff. Any thoughts on must do maintenance would be appreciated as well.

Regards,

Eric
Attached Thumbnails New to the Forum,-jan-202010-20051.jpg  

Last edited by Reproman; 01-18-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those "lids" aren't worth a damn. I will take if from you for the cost of shipping if you would like. I hate them too, but if it will help you out, I am willing.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 PM

Here is a pic, I think. If it works
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

good looking truck...you got there...i would say you could make a few bucks off that bed covor if its in good shape...hell i think there around 1000 bucks new.....im looking one for my 02 f150 but its a flareside...and i have only seen like 2 or 3 used ones...and they wanted between 4 and 5hundred bucks...
Old 01-19-2010, 03:57 AM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on the brand of the hard cover, they can cost around $1000. But sometimes they are hard to sell because if the person looking doesn't have a red truck, they have to get it repainted. So I see them sell alot of times for half the price.

Reliability and performance.. Go with a Gryphon with custom tunes from Bill at PHP. He knows his stuff!! You could go with a fancy Cold Air Intake, but really, just do the Gotts mod to the stock intake and you should be good to go. If you want a loud exhaust go straight pipe or toss on a nice Flowmaster 40 or a muffler of your choice.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 AM

Welcome!! Nice looking truck, looks like it has been well maintained. If the person you got the truck from is gonna through in the lid, I would go ahead and take it. Always worth the shot of selling it to re-coupe some of your payout. Someone will eventually buy it from you. Will be a good way to pay for some nice mods!! AS far as mods go, basic, I would recommend a cold air intake and slapping on a spin tech muffler for a great aggressive tone.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bhoover
Those "lids" aren't worth a damn. I will take if from you for the cost of shipping if you would like. I hate them too, but if it will help you out, I am willing.
Nice try for attempting to "cheap out"; I'd take it too, and drive up and get it as well!

Personally, I like the cover over a vinyl tonnau, as the hard covers require less maintenance. Selling it would require finding someone in your area that wants one, as shipping one like you have will be outragous costs.

Don't be fooled; your hard cover is nice, and worth some bucks to someone who's willing to buy and pick it up. Can't you store it at your home somewhere safe? If/when you decide to sell the truck, it would make for a good resale option.

Welcome aboard.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 AM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck is red too!!!! I figured he would know I was kidding. Those are pretty sweet lids. I like the looks of the truck too brother. Looks good Eric!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think the Gotts mod is something I'll do first. Also my friend is talking me into keeping the cover and getting an enclosed trailer for the bikes. Still not sure which way to go there, but its a nice problem to have I guess?

Its going to need new tires in the spring anyway, so I might start looking at wheels and tire packages too. Nothing too hip. I discovered that the left rear window switch doesn't work, which is strange, because it works from the driver's control panel and the other rear window works fine, so that's a head scratcher.

I paid 17k for the truck, which I thought was fair. Again, its running great and tire wear is even and interior is perfect. This was not a work truck, it was just a cruiser.

Thanks again for your feedback and have a great day.

Quick Reply: New to the Forum,