Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New Ford owner! Tire issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ford owner! Tire issues

Hello all, this is my first post and I need help please. I recently bought an 08 Limited with 17,000 miles. It has new Pirelli Scorpion tires w/ the stock 22" rims. It seems to have a bad vibration around 60-70mph. Every small bump feels like I hit a foot deep pothole. I have had the tires balanced twice and an alignment w/i 2000 miles. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with the tires, and cannot find any issues with the truck. It still rides terrible! I think I lost a filling in my tooth the other day while driving, after hitting a small bump. Has any other Limited owners had this issue? Can someone please recommend a good tire for this vehicle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carmen
Old 09-01-2010, 03:05 PM

has it bene lowered? or on stock suspension?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:51 PM

It is stock suspension. Also 2WD which I would expect to ride smoother.

Nice jet ski. I am rebuilding a 97 tigershark 770.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM

I don't have a limited but my 08 Lariat came with factory 20" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion tires. One thing I noticed is that with a lower profile tire I felt a lot more bumps on the road. I didn't have any vibration but the ride was definatley not the best. With my after market setup I went with an 18" wheel and plus with the mud terrain tire my ride is much better than before.

Don't know if that helps.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firefgtn8
Hello all, this is my first post and I need help please. I recently bought an 08 Limited with 17,000 miles. It has new Pirelli Scorpion tires w/ the stock 22" rims. It seems to have a bad vibration around 60-70mph. Every small bump feels like I hit a foot deep pothole. I have had the tires balanced twice and an alignment w/i 2000 miles. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with the tires, and cannot find any issues with the truck. It still rides terrible! I think I lost a filling in my tooth the other day while driving, after hitting a small bump. Has any other Limited owners had this issue? Can someone please recommend a good tire for this vehicle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carmen
its the 22's that give the bad ride, i would take the truck and have a certified tire guy look at the tires and see what he says about them there should be no vibrationa
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM

i worked at the ford dealership here in town those tires suck i have never came across a pair that would balance out right...imho i would suggest tires
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM

So after 4 days the dealer says they could not find anything wrong, and it is a characteristic of the truck! Are you kidding me. The steering wheel starts shaking around 60 and this is normal. Sound like a safety issue to me. I guess they have had a lot of complaints with the boxed frame and these tires. They just don't have a fix. I have always been a Chevy guy. I switched to Ford b/c they have always had the #1 selling truck, and did not need the government to bail them out. The limited is one of the best looking trucks I have seen, unfortunately it is the worst driving vehicle I have owned. I do plan on trying to pursue this with Ford higher up the chain, just not sure how yet. I appreciate all your comments. Anyone want to buy a 08 Limited?

I feel better now!

Carmen
Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So after 4 days the dealer says they could not find anything wrong, and it is a characteristic of the truck! Are you kidding me. The steering wheel starts shaking around 60 and this is normal. Sound like a safety issue to me. I guess they have had a lot of complaints with the boxed frame and these tires. They just don't have a fix. I have always been a Chevy guy. I switched to Ford b/c they have always had the #1 selling truck, and did not need the government to bail them out. The limited is one of the best looking trucks I have seen, unfortunately it is the worst driving vehicle I have owned. I do plan on trying to pursue this with Ford higher up the chain, just not sure how yet. I appreciate all your comments. Anyone want to buy a 08 Limited?

I feel better now!

Carmen
Change your rims and tires....... it will ride like a car
Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Shakes

The steering wheel starts shaking around 60 and this is normal. Sound like a safety issue to me. Carmen
Companies like Rough Country sold/sell steering dampeners as I remember. Might something like that at least help reduce your steering wheel shake? Had a buddy that years back put some aggressive tires on his truck and it started doing the shake-rattle-and-role. He put a damper on it definitely helped the driveability of it.

Just a thought.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

22's are not known to be great for ride.....you show me a donk or something simiilar and I'll show you a crappy ride I'm running 33's on 20's and my ride leaves alot to be desired as far as wheel shake and road feel but the same truck with factory config with 275/65/18's rode like a car...now it rides like a truck not terrible but not great either. Only mod's done is a leveling kit and 20's with 305/55/20's but I really don;t mind I'm not a street ride only I'm off road as much as I'm on.

Quick Reply: New Ford owner! Tire issues