Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New Ford Owner with a question and pics of my new ride.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ford Owner with a question and pics of my new ride.

I just purchased a 2006 F-150 STX 4x4 super cab yesterday. It has the 4.6 auto tranny and manual 4x4 shifter. This truck has 18K miles on it. I just purchased this truck yesterday and I have been hearing a funny moaning/humming sound when I drive it. The sound seems to come on at different speeds but if you let off the gas then it will stop, or if you speed up it will eventually come out of it. It sounds like the noise is coming from the tranny or maybe the engine. It is NOT a tire kind of sound or a bad brake/hub sound, it's definitely mechanical and in the drive-train - I'm leaning more toward the tranny or torque converter. I suppose it could be an intake sound. I just don't know. I am hoping someone here might have heard something like this on their truck. I have owned many trucks in my life and never heard a sound like this.

Anyways, here is a few pics of my new baby.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:27 PM

Could be intake noise. Does it have the stock intake? I just had an AF1 intake and mine really moans now. Welcome and congrats on your truck.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the response. Yep stock intake.

Do you folks remember the mid 80's Ford trucks that had the granny low 1st gear and how the tranny would make a moaning sound when you would drive in granny low? That is about what this sounds like except at different speeds.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 PM

Hmmm...well now. Is there a Ford dealer in your area that has a good tec.? If so, I see you should still be under the factory 36K warranty.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

I want to come party with you!

Welcome to the site!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by LovetheTide
I want to come party with you!

Welcome to the site!
Thanks for the welcome!!

Yeah I was just loading the truck to get ready for the big game here in a while.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the boards!

I'd take it back to the dealership and have it thoroughly checked out. Did it not do that while you were on the test drive?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 AM

Yeah it did it while I was test driving it but my dad said that it may just be a normal sound and that I shouldn't worry about it since it still had the factory warranty on it. I will take it in to the dealership and have them check it out just to be safe.

Man I love this freaking truck!!! My wife is loving it too and said she can't believe how much it drives like a car. She said that when it's time to trade in her Jeep that she might just get her one of these.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice truck, love the color. Take it to ford and see what they say. If you get the old "oh, thats normal" Take it to another dealer and get a second opinion.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks man! I'm going to get some black rims for it and 315-65's for it after i get the leveling kit on. It should look sweet with that color.

There is another dealer close by that has the exact same truck as mine except for it's an 05 model. I may drive in there in my wife's jeep and test drive that truck just to see if it does what my truck is doing. If it doesn't then I will have a leg to stand on since this will be the same dealer handling the warranty work.

Quick Reply: New Ford Owner with a question and pics of my new ride.