Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

new F-150 quit after mud puddle

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new F-150 quit after mud puddle

Hello all,

Newer less than 6 months old 2008 F-150 FX4 Off Road.

Here is the story, I and family were going down a normal good dirt road-well traveled and came upon a decent mud puddle(had been raining last couplel days) covering the road, I went through it at about 25-30 mph, no big deal normal mud puddle...drove another 10 miles into town and the truck died.

Pull it in to the local Ford dealer...day or two and they get back with me about you must have been 4x4 and mudding etc..cause it had dirty water/maybe mud up in some part, and killed maybe most of the coils...and that warranty will not cover this!?!

They said it didn't get into the inner part(sucked in I guess)or that would have been bad. Showed me and my dad dirty spots all over the top of the engine. I couldn't believe warranty would not pay for this, because I was not 4x4 or any of the like, but went through a standard any old mud puddle. Mechanic said, because he already started a report into Ford about havig dirty water in the (?, I can't rmember what part he said but whatever made some coils go bad) and that right there nullified the warranty. So I have a $1200 bill that warranty will not pay for on a new truck?? I'm pissed and can not believe it...next step contacting a Ford rep.

After this, I went back and took pics of the mud puddle with truck to show depth etc.. 6 inches of water max but it was across the entire road but come on, I'd think Ford Tough could handle that!?!? Baffles me cause the explanation makes me wonder about driving down highway at 75 water/dirt whats the diff or another puddle!?!?

Not happy about Ford's warranty and service. The mechanic said he can't re-submit under the warranty cause he got in trouble before trying to do that!?

Need help or explanation on my next step or does somebody have a number to call to a Ford person, just not a general complaint number.

Baffled in Michigan!

Last edited by beerandnuts; 07-02-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you took the truck offroading and screwed it up, now your mad you had to pay and fix it.....ha ha good luck with that......and then your dumb enough to take pics of the place your offroaded at, i love people's stupidity

Last edited by ATOM; 07-02-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that is not good. Go back and ask to see the coils. You said he showed you the spots of water all over the engine, which would be standard for the mud puddle but from you said he didn't show you the bad parts. This is another thread of contacting that CEO check that for the number.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

haha yeah sounds like you're SOL, pretty sure offroading isn't covered in the warranty. now what i don't understand is why it messed up in the first place. i've been through all types of water/mud holes and just about every speed you could imagin and have had absolutely zero problems, idk maybe i just got lucky or you just got unlucky.

actually now that i think about it though, if it was an actual dirt road, like one with road signs and all, then that might be under warranty since you weren't technically off road.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently it is driving now, so did you pay to have the coils replaced or just a minor fix to repair it back to drivable condition?

Also, the ford warranty looks at any kind of offraoding malfunction to you backing out of a mud puddle and nailing your bumper on a tree (i've down a couple of times) ...maybe insurance will cover but def not the warranty.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 PM

he drove thru a 6" water puddle at 25-30 mphs....not normal driving, playing with his truck, wrecked it, and wants someone else to fix it....for free
Old 07-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Dealer responsibilities

To warranty a failure on your truck the dealer needs to show that there was a defect in that part due to the manufacture. Ford could and has kicked back warranty claims to the dealer. So the dealer ends up paying for the false wty claim. This is why the dealer is picky.
In my experience if driving through any depth of water it is best to go slow so the water doesn’t splash up into the motor or electronics. Also you couldn’t drive 75mph through a so called 6” puddle with out hydroplaning and crashing. If you were on the highway and this happened it might become an insurance issue due to a road hazard.
I have also seen water short out a Control unit. (Computer) Even by washing an engine.
If your truck gets in a flood Ford won’t wty the water damage either!

Your 1st mistake was telling them you were off-road or on a dirt road. Water on a highway can be muddy.

We all have taken on the water puddles – mud puddles. You weren’t lucky.

I my self went through a area in the road that was about 10” deep once it was raining and this road was filling up so I crossed, it was fun water went out to either side. Then the eng died!!!!!!!! While trying to start it I rolled a little forward to the bottom of the dip. The water was rising. I was screwed I couldn’t push my truck out. By the time the tow truck came my truck was under water. Lesson learned.

One custom 1953 ford pickup sitting under water for hours. This was an easy one. It only took me a month to get electrical parts and get it back on the road. But as time went on other things failed that seemed to work at first wipers, heater, turn signals, switches … etc all failed.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand your frustration man, that sucks! ATOM I see your point but it sounds like your taking this personal..like he's asking you to fix or pay for it. Do you blame him for trying?

Probably not a good idea to drive through puddles fast but who doesn't I have did it and havent had any engine problems. The so-called puddle I drove through was a lot deeper than 6 in and I had to replace the rotors....but the was only an $80 dollar mistake. You could try a different dealer but the mechanic already submitted something im not sure but I would guess that your VIN is tagged for that..so it sounds like you SOL
Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 PM

i blame him for being a moron, crying about it, and then wanting someone else to pay the bill for his stupidity.....grow up, pay the bill, you wrecked it....

reading this stuff just bugs the hell outta me....it's ford's fault for this and that, working in the manufacturing industry for years, i have dealt with some dummies...best one ever, some guy hit a light with a forklift and wanted it replaced, because it had a lifetime structural warranty....read the fine print "under normal use" , doesn't count if you hit it with a f*cking forklift....
Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Ex Badge Bunny

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ATOM
i blame him for being a moron, crying about it, and then wanting someone else to pay the bill for his stupidity.....grow up, pay the bill, you wrecked it....

reading this stuff just bugs the hell outta me....it's ford's fault for this and that, working in the manufacturing industry for years, i have dealt with some dummies...best one ever, some guy hit a light with a forklift and wanted it replaced, because it had a lifetime structural warranty....read the fine print "under normal use" , doesn't count if you hit it with a f*cking forklift....
whoa buddy... calm down
We're not here to condemn the guy... he was simply asking for help and suggestions. Life is a lesson learned... now he knows. Although, I would say he got a POS lemon for a truck... c'mon now, what he did really shouldn't have been THAT hard on a brand new 4x4 truck...? I dunno, just try and not be so hard on people. That being said, I don't expect you to come back at ME with some smart***** remark
Other than that, I would really look into the "coil" situation... If you can't trust a brand new Ford 4x4 truck while not driving it too hard, what the hell CAN you trust? lol

Quick Reply: new F-150 quit after mud puddle