Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New F-150 Owner - Some "winter" questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F-150 Owner - Some "winter" questions

Hey guys, recently purchased an 07 F-150 XLT. 5.4, supercrew, 18inch wheels etc...Being in Nova Scotia i wanted to ask some questions relating to winter (or general upkeep i guess)

It has the chrome factory wheels and BFG AT tires. How can i protect these wheels during the winter? - I know i should buy some steelies but i cant afford it after buying the truck . I dont know if they were always taken off during winter but these things are mint. Perhaps they just handle elements good?

Also, during my search for a truck you come across some pile of trucks needing cab corners fixed or replaced. What is it about trucks that makes this such a common occurence, further, how can i keep them good so i can enjoy the truck for long as possible?

and yes, it does have the dreaded 5.4 tick...i will remedy that in the spring i hope.

Thanks and glad i found this forum.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have wondered the same thing about the cab corners, like what you can do to prevent it or at least slow it down. One thing on the wheels to keep the salt off them you could try and plasti dip them for the winter months to keep them from directly coming into contact with salt.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe this is the problem that causes the rusting cab corners. This triangular hole lets mud, salt, water and other crap in but there is no way for it to get out, so it just sits there and eats through from the inside out.
Attached Thumbnails New F-150 Owner - Some "winter" questions-image-2931667705.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford123
I believe this is the problem that causes the rusting cab corners. This triangular hole lets mud, salt, water and other crap in but there is no way for it to get out, so it just sits there and eats through from the inside out.

Where on earth is that located? I'll have to check mine so I can take a pipe cleaner or something to it.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fbcoach
Where on earth is that located? I'll have to check mine so I can take a pipe cleaner or something to it.
It's right about where the cab meets the box, if you crawl underneath you'll see it or if you stick your head in an the rear tire and look toward the cab you should see it.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fbcoach
Also this is also only on the crew cabs. Scabs won't have this issue.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford123
Also this is also only on the crew cabs. Scabs won't have this issue.
Ah! Gotcha. Well that makes me feel a little more relieved. I think I'm still going to check for stuff like that.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by yzinger
Hey guys, recently purchased an 07 F-150 XLT. 5.4, supercrew, 18inch wheels etc...Being in Nova Scotia i wanted to ask some questions relating to winter (or general upkeep i guess) It has the chrome factory wheels and BFG AT tires. How can i protect these wheels during the winter? - I know i should buy some steelies but i cant afford it after buying the truck . I dont know if they were always taken off during winter but these things are mint. Perhaps they just handle elements good? Also, during my search for a truck you come across some pile of trucks needing cab corners fixed or replaced. What is it about trucks that makes this such a common occurence, further, how can i keep them good so i can enjoy the truck for long as possible? and yes, it does have the dreaded 5.4 tick...i will remedy that in the spring i hope. Thanks and glad i found this forum.
for your wheels. it might not look the best if you don't like the black look but you could look into pasti dip. it's a rubber coating that will spray on like spray paint but it will protect your wheels from the salt if done correctly. and in the spring you simply peel it off. these are mine
Attached Thumbnails New F-150 Owner - Some "winter" questions-image-3378456261.jpg   New F-150 Owner - Some "winter" questions-image-3779217029.jpg   New F-150 Owner - Some "winter" questions-image-110026901.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could also spray on a product like Fluid Film or Amsoil MP Metal Protector to prevent corrosion.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by edwin108
You could also spray on a product like Fluid Film or Amsoil MP Metal Protector to prevent corrosion.
^ fluid film is a great choice as well. stuff is amazing. only thing I have noticed with it is all the dirt and mud will stick too it and you will get a dirt coating on the wheels that if you clean off you take the fluid film with it. but it's great stuff for your body and ect. just get ready for how awful the stuff smells.

Quick Reply: New F-150 Owner - Some "winter" questions