Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New exhaust. How can I make it louder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust. How can I make it louder?

I just got a Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back system, and I'm wondering what exactly i can do to make it a bit louder. It's got an amazing sound around 2000 RPM, however anywhere beyond that I can hardly hear it over the engine. Not sure i want to drill holes in it, but if it works, it works...

Also, ive got them dumped out the sides, and was wondering if it would be any louder if i put them straight back. I might do this anyways because i don't like my tips constantly filthy from the road grime comming off the tires.

thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 PM

The sound you have is what you have. If you want louder, change the muffler. Search on here for some that are louder. Drilling holes in it will defeat the purpose and diminish the performance gains of the muffler. You could aslo remove the muffler and replace it with a piece of straight pipe. It ill be louder, but the tone would change a little.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ratchetjaw
The sound you have is what you have. If you want louder, change the muffler. Search on here for some that are louder. Drilling holes in it will defeat the purpose and diminish the performance gains of the muffler. You could aslo remove the muffler and replace it with a piece of straight pipe. It ill be louder, but the tone would change a little.
what would happen if he removed everything from the stock exhaust from where the 3rd catalytic converter started to just a straight pipe instead? so all he would have is the headers with the two catalytic converters going into a straight pipe. would he get better sound and would his engine light come on since the 3rd catalytic was removed?
Old 08-29-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ratchetjaw
Ya I was thinking about replacing the muffler with a piece of straight pipe, but would i have to get a custom pipe in order for it to go from single pipe, then splitting into duals ?

Also, i switched from side dumped to straight back, and during the process, somehow the tailpipe before the tip, bonded together with the pipe that goes into the muffler. I used anti-seize on all of the connections, so i'm not sure how it happened. Any ideas as to how i can separate them?
Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want a straight pipe with 2 tips you gotta get an x pipe, h pipe, or just have em come straight off the manifolds but my personal preference is an x pipe...and your exhaust would have to be stupidly loud to hear it over the engine since its all under the bed, not the cab. Basically if you want to hear it over the engine straightpipe it and cut off the cats but that sounds like crap
Old 08-29-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably louder than you think, I can barely hear my magnaflow when im driving and had thought about getting something else but the other day my wife borrowed my truck, it was the first time I had heard it from the outside actually driving away, it was louder than I thought.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Mini Addict

I bought my 06 Harley and it had had the exhaust silencers (mufflers) removed and is simply straight pipe from the cats back 1 each side.

The noise is absolutely stunning and is easily noticeable over the engine
Old 08-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Born On a Mountain Top...

def listen to it and let somebody drive it by you. thats the only true test to hear what it really sounds like
Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Gismo, post an sound clip of your exhaust.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised at how many times I read about someone thinking of drilling holes in mufflers on this site!

I would do as many have suggested already. Let someone drive your truck and see how loud it is with you not in it. The 04's and up F150's are pretty quiet on the inside compared to the previous body styles. If it's not loud enough for ya after that, then you can move on to plan b. Whatever you decide, don't drill holes in a new exhaust system. You could always sell it and just straight pipe the thing if your wanting an incredibly loud truck.

Quick Reply: New exhaust. How can I make it louder?