Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New engine for me

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default New engine for me

After chasing a misfire for months, the 2nd Ford house I went to (with my buddy who is the mechanic working on my truck) found that I had a bent intake valve in the number one cylinder. For some reason at times that valve would seal correctly and the truck would run fine, and other times it would run like ****. When I took it to him happened to be during an instance where it was running fine. He immediately swapped out the plug, coil, and injector on that cylinder (although I also had done this with no result) and the misfire remained. After that he did a compression test and that cylinder had basically full compression. Leaving him pretty stumped. I let him drive it for a while until it started misfiring again and he took the truck back in immediately and ran a compression test and that cylinder could only hold like 70psi or so. After removing the heads he found that both the intake and the exhaust valves on that cylinder were bent. On top of that there was some vertical scaring on the cylinder walls indicating worn rings. So he advised to go ahead and throw a new long block on there. So today she is undergoing open heart surgery and getting a new motor. At 150,000 miles I'd say that is a tad early for a new engine, but needless to say I don't know if I will ever be able to buy another Ford again.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I have 167K on my 2006 5.4 3V engine and it's running great. Uses about a quart of oil every 3K miles. I use Mobile 1 5W30. Have you been maintaining your engine with required oil changes and regular maintenance? Bent valves mean incorrect valve timing. That means the piston smacked the valves which shuld never happen if your timing chain is working correctly.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aeromech
I have 167K on my 2006 5.4 3V engine and it's running great. Uses about a quart of oil every 3K miles. I use Mobile 1 5W30. Have you been maintaining your engine with required oil changes and regular maintenance? Bent valves mean incorrect valve timing. That means the piston smacked the valves which shuld never happen if your timing chain is working correctly.
I am actually very meticulous about maintenance. I change my oil at least every 3k. I however have only put small fraction of those miles on myself, making the first owner a little more of the culprit.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What long block are you going with, and whats the cost?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by majerus
What long block are you going with, and whats the cost?
just the stock replacement 4.6. It was $5500 out the door, I kinda wish I could have had them put a 5.0 in there but I didn't think about it until after the 4.6 was ordered.

Quick Reply: New engine for me