Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New cv shaft binding

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New cv shaft binding

Today I replaced both IWE's, both hub assemblies, and the passenger side cv shaft.
I had cut the outer boot on the passenger side shaft when I installed a 1 1/2" leveling kit several months ago. I didn't realize it was bad until I saw grease was being slung from the cut.

After installing everything, the new cv shaft binds up and won't rotate when the suspension is fully extended.
I had no binding issues with the factory shaft. The drivers side factory cv shaft rotates fine.
When I ordered the shaft from RockAuto, I didn't see an 'extended angle' option for the shaft, I'm not sure if there even is such a thing.

I'm considering now just replacing the bad boot on the factory shaft, instead of replacing the whole thing.
Has anyone else had this binding problem, and how did you get thru it?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did some Googleing and found that there is a binding issue with aftermarket CV shafts. This was taken from another site:

" .....I encountered the locking up problem also. I took the boot off the aftermarket shaft and found the problem. The stock shaft has a cage with 5-6 big ball bearings on the inner (differential) side, allowing it to spin freely.
The aftermarket shaft has three shaft type bearings which tend to bind when pressure is applied. It acts like a socket swivel if you know what I mean. "

I guess I will try to re-boot the factory shaft, if that fails, it's off to the dealer I go.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just replaced mine on the passenger side also. It only bound when extended on initial install. Once I dropped the truck on the ground, everything seemed to "pop into place" and was back to normal.

Quick Reply: New cv shaft binding