Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New Alternator, battery light still on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Alternator, battery light still on?

My alternator went out a few days ago and I did everything I needed to as far as I know replacing it but for some reason my light on the dash stayed on. At first I figured it was just the battery charging back up properly and it would go off but after 2 days I'm lost as to why it's still on. All electronics are working properly and the battery gauge seems to be holding steady. Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Mark

Received 2,412 Likes on 2,113 Posts

What brand of alt did you replace it with.. Our trucks are very picky with alts .. Have your checked your battery for proper connection and voltage ?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,692 Posts

year make model? could be a bad alternator. Did you check for logged codes in the OBDII?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
What brand of alt did you replace it with.. Our trucks are very picky with alts .. Have your checked your battery for proper connection and voltage ?
It was a duralast alternator and yes my battery is good sending out the correct voltage
Old 08-13-2015, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
year make model? could be a bad alternator. Did you check for logged codes in the OBDII?
2006 F150, I had my battery and alternator checked along with any other codes the truck may be throwing and everything seems fine. This is why I dont understand why the light is staying illuminated.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Statefan15
2006 F150, I had my battery and alternator checked along with any other codes the truck may be throwing and everything seems fine. This is why I dont understand why the light is staying illuminated.
99% of the time when I put an alternator on and the light is still on its a bad alternator. It may be showing that it's charging with a voltmeter, but something inside the alt is not satisfying the pcm. Swapping it out is definitely worth the small amount of effort to confirm.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:31 AM

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by Browayjr
99% of the time when I put an alternator on and the light is still on its a bad alternator. It may be showing that it's charging with a voltmeter, but something inside the alt is not satisfying the pcm. Swapping it out is definitely worth the small amount of effort to confirm.

Agree, we had an Expedition that when you accelerated, the battery light came on, otherwise it was off. Alternator was bad.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:28 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Browayjr
Exactly right, the PCM is not seeing the proper operation even though the alt is doing is job. With our trucks, it's so easy to do I would swap it out for a different one (I've had great luck using a Napa reman) $240 CANADIAN

Quick Reply: New Alternator, battery light still on?