Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New AEM 21-8117D *Review*

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AEM 21-8117D *Review*

Well as many of you know, I originally installed the older version of the AEM Brute Force intake on my ride in the winter. The intake yielded decent results power wise and worked great. However, it was NOT designed for my newer truck. This likely caused the drone I was experiancing with the kit.
When I found out that AEM had produced a new kit designed to work on trucks all the way up to 08, I had to get my hands on one. So I did.

The new 21-8117D was a lot like the older kit I had, but when I took them both and compared from side to side, I noticed several small variances.
First Thing I noticed, was the heat sheild now had a MUCH better mounting. There is a bracket now that mounts to the factor fender bolt that makes this MUCH more sturdy.

The clamps that connect everything together seem to have been upgraded now as well. Before they were just regular old hose clamps. These guys are nice stainless pieces that are nice and shiney.

Although not visable to the naked eye, the runner on the tube in the filter bolts on, is actually a different length. Now for those of you who don't know, that actually how they tune intakes, is changing the length and diameter of the pipes to get the correct fuel trims. It also appeared that the MAF was relocated slightly in the secondary pipe as well. I didn't measure, just eyeballed this though.

Engine Shot:

The new powdercoat offering is VERY nice. It looks more like a really thick and quality paint job than a PC. However, it is indeed powder coat.

Results: (Tested WITH 35" tall Tires)
Now i just happened to have a buddy who owns a dyno, so I get a lot of free dyno time. Normally I wouldn't dyno before an after with every little mod, but since it was there and ready to use I took advantage.

Truck Mods: Edge Evolution with some tweaking, Shorty headers, 4:56 Gears, MBRP SI/SO 3.5 Exhaust, Magnaflow High Flow cats.
The old intake gave me an aditional 7rwhp over stock with my current mods at 273rwhp.

Same day Tests with Bigger Tires:
Old AEM: 262.3rwhp/311tq
AEM 21-2117D: 267.1/313tq

Same Dyno, Same Day, Same Temps. All pulls were made within 1.5 hours of eachother. Pulls were made with truck at full opertation temp.
I am very happy to report that the drone is gone at all speeds. Likely caused by the older heat shield design.

This kit is a great piece and I think many of you looking to get a CAI should consider adding this one to the top of your list.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:04 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Great writeup. Good pics.. Thanks for actual numbers.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice write up. I am liking those intakes more and more as of lately.

What headers do you have? I knew about all of your other mod but those were a surprise to see. Also, what are your thoughts on the Cats? Worth it not worth it?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My AEM has a fairly large gap where the pipe goes into the heatshield area. Is yours the same? I have been considering putting the larger gasket material as found at the top hood seal area around this opening to restrict hot air flow a bit more.

Quick Reply: New AEM 21-8117D *Review*