Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

never drive my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default never drive my truck.

I was just wondering if its a bad thing that i barely drive my truck, i work 55-60 hours a week and im only half a mile frome work so i just ride my bike. when i do drive my truck there very short drives just around a small town. What im trying to say is that a bad thing, or is it not a big deal? anything i should be doing or watching out for, please let me no.
Its prob a stupid question but o well.
She usually just sits there an looks perrty..

Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't like to let a vehicle sit too long I like to use it to keep parts moving and freed up. If it's a 4x4 and you hardly ever use it then everyonce in a while it may not beca bad thing to engage 4wd and drive it for a couple miles to have everything turning. Same with tires probably would never hurt them but I'd take it for a long enough drive to get some heat in the tires and smooth out any flat spots if any because they were sitting in one place so long. Also depending on where you live it wouldn't hurt to get it undercoated... I find things rust faster when just sitting there parked for long periods of time instead of moving. Maybe I'm wrong but just my personal outlook on it.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat, but I drive mine on the weekends. I have a commuter car that I drive to work. I keep a trickle charger on it and it's parked in the garage, so no worries about it weathering. I do need to put it in 4wd more often than I do. Interested to see what others say.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

Sitting and short trips are harder on a vehicle than driving it regularly. Seals dry up and leak, batterys get weak, animals and insects build houses in them ect. If its going to sit most of the time keep it on a battery maintainer and make a point to take it out a couple times a month and put some miles on it.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 PM

good input, i aswell drive my truck on weekends, i also like to get all the parts moving and doing what they do, so i usually go out of my way on weekends and find my self just crusin around. As far as 4x4, i engage it maybe once every 4 months or so, prolly gonna engage it a little more often thats a good thought speeddemon, of corse not on dry pavment while turning.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by M1RK3D
good input, i aswell drive my truck on weekends, i also like to get all the parts moving and doing what they do, so i usually go out of my way on weekends and find my self just crusin around. As far as 4x4, i engage it maybe once every 4 months or so, prolly gonna engage it a little more often thats a good thought speeddemon, of corse not on dry pavment while turning.
Lol no dry pavement while turning might be a bit hard on front end parts lol
Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by kozal01
Sitting and short trips are harder on a vehicle than driving it regularly. Seals dry up and leak, batterys get weak, animals and insects build houses in them ect. If its going to sit most of the time keep it on a battery maintainer and make a point to take it out a couple times a month and put some miles on it.
to benefit my truck do you recomend driving my truck everyday a mile or so, or riding my bike, mon-fri?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 PM

Drive the bike everyday and put a few miles on the truck on the weekend.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by speeddemon86
Drive the bike everyday and put a few miles on the truck on the weekend.
Thats what im thinkin
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by M1RK3D
I was just wondering if its a bad thing that i barely drive my truck, i work 55-60 hours a week and im only half a mile frome work so i just ride my bike. when i do drive my truck there very short drives just around a small town. What im trying to say is that a bad thing, or is it not a big deal? anything i should be doing or watching out for, please let me no.
Its prob a stupid question but o well.
She usually just sits there an looks perrty..

I am in the EXACT same boat as you man. I live .7 miles away from work and ride my bike or usually walk to work and my truck sits for a couple days on end. I work a rotating schedule so I end up putting a bunch of miles on my truck during my week off every month. I usually dont like to drive to work but sometimes do it. The worst part for me is since the truck doesnt get up to operating temperature the exhaust doesnt get rid of all the moisture and therefore the exhaust will rust quicker. That is one of my major concerns.

It is interesting to see someone that does the same thing I do with working close and not driving their truck to work everyday.

Quick Reply: never drive my truck.