Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need to upgrade my sound system

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need to upgrade my sound system

hey guys, i got a 07 XLT. i have the 6cd changer MP3 and i have the sirus built in and the headphone jack, i love the head unit and i really dont want to get rid of it. but the sound sucks not enough bass and when u crank it up loud it crackles. i would really like to keep the head unit and try and get better sound out of it. is there any way i can do that? thanks. also im looking for a new grille if anyone has any good ideas!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Look into cleansweep by JL. New speakers also. As for the grille, I really like the saleen grille.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 PM
King Air 200 Captain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not worth trying to get the best sound out of the factory head unit. I had the same exact unit in my 06 king ranch f150 and I put alot of money into the stereo trying to make it sound good. I did the cleans weep, new door speakers all around, subs, and never could get the sound I was looking for. I finally broke down and got a pioneer touch head unit installed and OMG!!!! What a difference. It brought all the aspects of songs and sound to life! It was amazing. You will end up spending more money trying to get your stock head unit sounding good then you will just buying a new one.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by King_Ranch_Pilot
It's not worth trying to get the best sound out of the factory head unit. I had the same exact unit in my 06 king ranch f150 and I put alot of money into the stereo trying to make it sound good. I did the cleans weep, new door speakers all around, subs, and never could get the sound I was looking for. I finally broke down and got a pioneer touch head unit installed and OMG!!!! What a difference. It brought all the aspects of songs and sound to life! It was amazing. You will end up spending more money trying to get your stock head unit sounding good then you will just buying a new one.
I completely disagree.

I wanted the same thing, better sound, yet keep the factory look. First off I swapped out the four door speakers four Polk db571's. Cheap upgrade that did help a lot over the junk stock speakers. However, it was still lacking bass. A month or so back I bit the bullet and added a sub and mono amp. I bought the sub enclosure off of supercrewsound, a Polk MM1040 sub, and a Kenwood 8105 mono amp. The sub is under the rear seat, I mounted amp behind the rear passenger seat so you don't even notice it. Sounds awesome and couldn't be happier. Especially because I was able to keep the factory head unit and the clean look. I've never been a big fan of aftermarket head units, they just don't look right. Anyways, that's my recommendation.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GrnMachine210
Look into cleansweep by JL. New speakers also. As for the grille, I really like the saleen grille.
I completely agree! That saleen grille looks amazing. I have a Harley Davidson grille from Ford parts. I decided to keep the black surround that the grille came with (since HDs are black). It actually looks kinda cool on my silver Screw.

My speakers sound like crap too. My wife's Expedition EL Limited sounds great stock. Sounds to me like the aux tweeters and the sub make the difference.

Quick Reply: Need to upgrade my sound system