Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need truck buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need truck buying advice

I just visited a friend of a friend who has a 2005 F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 4WD with 208k miles on it. He buys trucks all the time to fix them up and sell them. He got this one a few weeks ago. Since then he says he put in a new transmission, new wheels and tires, new brakes, and he is going to change the timing chain this weekend. He also took whatever scratches and dents there were out and just painted it.

Needless to say, it looks great. Definitely doesn't look like it has over 200k miles on it. This would be my first truck and first true vehicle. He bought it initially with no intention to sell it but to have for himself. Only reason he would let me buy it is because he's a friend of a friend. He would sell it for $9k.

You guys have any thoughts on the condition of it so far? Any questions I should ask the guy before making a decision? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

did you drive it yet? I'd be concerned about the various joints, suspension bushings, compression, all the soft parts like hoses and belts... It would be worth having it taken to Ford for a true Pre Purchase Inspection.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idivemike
did you drive it yet? I'd be concerned about the various joints, suspension bushings, compression, all the soft parts like hoses and belts... It would be worth having it taken to Ford for a true Pre Purchase Inspection.
I drove it briefly. Probably about 2 miles. Since this is truly my first truck I'm unsure of what I'm supposed to be paying attention to. The only thing I noticed was when I was braking, there was a flutter in the brakes. Not sure if it is from the rotors or not.

Should I ask him about the status of the "soft parts?"
Old 05-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Zack AKA Doctor guy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd check the engine sounds, look for engine rust or messy parts etc. spark plugs, underbody. Just really Indiana jones that truck lol

Quick Reply: Need truck buying advice