Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need some Timing Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need some Timing Help

05 5.4 3v

Long story short.. had this done before.. and didnt wanna pay.. so doing it now..

Started with just a phaser replacement. However (PLEASE forgive me if I dont know the exact part name)

The phaser on Driver side was TICKING LOUDLY and I mean way to loud.. So i got the wedge from Liversport... I followed their video not knowing they leave out a few steps.. So Im in a pickle...

I removed the phaser and the Rocker Arm? (part that its bolted to) Rolled.... So How do I get it back?

2nd problem.. Some brats around here were messing with a bunch of cars and mine was one of them.. sooo wedge got pulled and chain fell in...

So the cover is off and im getting ready to install the phaser however I know now it need to be FULLY aligned... where do I start?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/

See if post #5 helps you.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 AM

i got all that printed off so i know timing marks.. my problem is how do I get the phaser to rotate to the right position?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Put some channel locks on the camshaft right behind the phaser and turn it to where you need it to be. Before you put it all back together, rotate the motor by hand a few times to make sure the valve aren't hitting the pistons. If they are, then that cam is 180° off. If it's right, throw it all back together and enjoy. If it's 180° off, take the chain back off, rotate the cam, and check it again.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 PM

how would you know if they are hitting.. if they are hitting take the chain off and basically rotate the phaser all the way back around to where it was?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:21 PM

If you're turning the motor by hand, and the valves meet the piston, you'll know real quick! Basically it will not turn anymore without and extreme amount of force. It can be hard to turn it by hand anyway (with the plugs in, easier with plugs out). And yes, turn the phaser completely around, get all the timing marks lined up, and test it again. Do not try to start the motor until you are sure that the pistons are not hitting the valves, and the timing is set.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 PM

ok this is what i i did.

Since passenger side was still on phaser and bottom sprocket i rotated it til it was where it was suppose to be (dual spots at top and single spot at bottom)

Then I rotated the phaser on driver side to where it was suppose to be and hand put on chain..

now since I took off the timing chain tensioner i have to go buy a new one? since it was preloaded?
Old 06-30-2014, 04:21 PM

As long as all timing marks are on at the same time, the first time, you're fine. Once you rotate the motor, the marks will not all line up again for a whole lot of rotations because of the size differences in the phaser sprocket and crank sprocket. Don't worry about buying a new set of tensioners if you didn't take them off. It's the gasket on the back of them that is picky and fails.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:35 PM

lol now a new problem occurred.. so the haynes manual has where the bolts go etc.. however im 80% sure it has the wrong lay out.. cause it wants me to put stud bolts behind pullies thus not allowing the pulley to turn...

so does anyone have a pic of where the bolts go and which bolt goes where?

Quick Reply: Need some Timing Help