Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need some some CB experts with advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some some CB experts with advice!!!

2004 F150 FX4 SCAB

Ok. I've never owned a CB before.......so it's not like I'm really asking for advice as I'm pretty much clueless. My first question is if anyone has an excellent link that explains the ins and outs of CB's? Explaining stuff like the different channels, squelch, short/thicker antenna vs. longer/skinnier.....stuff like that.

Call me crazy; but my reason for getting one is in case I need it. Like an emergency where my cell phone doesn't work......or going extreme (call me crazy).....like if the economy collapses.

I've looked into the handhelds and I'm not a fan. Also the types where you really only have the mic; meaning the controls are on the mic, no seperate unit. Not feeling those either.

I think I'd like to go with a typical system; but unsure as to which to get? How many channels do I need and why? What options are good to have? (I would like to be able to run a PA speaker)

And where to mount it?

I'd love to mount it above. Just take that door off and mount it in there with the mic mounted up there on the side of the tray. But I don't want to have to take off the headliner and plastic trim to run the wiring:

Or I could take the ashtray out and mount it there. Easier for installing and wiring; but I'm not loving the location for both ease of use and being out of the way:

Basically I'm asking you CB experts what you would buy and how/where you would install it if you owned my truck?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have ran many CB in my day. dont mount it on the top. thats a lot of work. is your truck a single cab or a 4 door? also i make a custom box to ride in the middle but you have a center console. another option is to mount in on the side of the middle console but that does expose wires. and how big do you want to go on your CB? they range from 8 watts to the big boys 1,500 watts. then you would need a good ground for both CB and antenna. if you have a tool box you would be good for ground for the antenna. i run both power and ground to the battery helps with road and ground noise.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Supercab with the 6.5' bed. So it's 'technically' a 4-door....just suicides vice regular.

No box in the bed. I have a Truxedo lo pro QT.

I do wanna have a powerful system......but not crazy. I did some research online and found some insane set ups. I don't want to have extra batteries and alternators to run it!!!! Some sick systems out there........

I'm ok with having to upgrade my battery. I'd prolly go with an Optima Yellow Top. And I agree on power/ground straight to the battery.

I'm pretty picky about my interior and how it looks. It looks completely stock right now, and that's how I like it. That's why I figured mounting it above would be the best for looks. I wouldn't have to mess with the roof at all if I use that slider dealy to mount it into. It would just be more work running the wires; I'd basically have to take out the entire headliner, the side pillar plastics and do what I could to get behind/under the dash.

The side of the center console I'm not cool with. Def not on my side of it as I like the room......and not on the other side as it would be tough to use the controls.

The ashtray seems like a viable option; but I don't want it to look like I removed the ashtray and then stuck a CB in there. I want it to look stock. Don't want the CB sitting in an empty void. I'd need a facia(sp?) piece to make it look 'clean'. But again I'm not too sure how easy it would be to get at the controls.........as I've always got a drink in that first cupholder and the shifter is there as well.

I keep going back to the over head bin.............might be where it ends up getting mounted.

Going back to your power question; what's the most I can run on the battery alone, and still consider it safe for starting? Like I said I'd prolly upgrade to a deep cell yellow top.

The next thing I need to figure out is how to make sure I've got the right attena...tuning it?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 AM

i understand the keep it cleen look, i am the same way. power is not to big of a issue with what you have under the hood anything under 300 watts will not kill the altanator or the battery. now attenas, do you want 1 or 2? one will give you just what you need in case of a emergency. if you want to run 2 you will need to have them calbratied to the CB it self. there is a company called Willison they are one of the best for your buck attena companys on the market. now what kind og CB are you looking at? there are a lot of high quialty ones on the market right now. i run a Conexx WSM 4300-400 that is one of the big boys of the big road. it has power control as well as what we call toys built in. it will reach out and touch someone. now getting back to mounting. it is posible to mount it in the top console and make it look very clean. but when you look at a CB you will see that they are a lot bigger than what that space will allow. take a look at a Cobra 29 thats a very good CB for a truck. when it comes to Gain and tone and squelch it is not to hard to pick up. Gain think it as a gate holding back traffic, the more you open the gate the more comes in all at once. if you let everything in all at once you will not be able to understand what is being said its called talking on each other. Squelch is easy, once you have some one you want to talk to and you cant really understand him adjust the Squelch to hear him better, Tone also easy it will control how loud the other talker is. also once you buy a CB it will give you a little book also explaining the control *****.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

1st there is no such thing as a1500 watt cb radio. All cb radios are limmeted to 4 watts max rf output by federal law they can be tuned a little bit higher but not legaly. 2nd you can run a output[linier]amplifier to boost power but again not legaly. 3rd most all cb radios made today are 40 chanels the max no. that are legal. 4th the antana length is pretty much personal preferance but you have to stay with one that is made for cb frequencys.[you get what you pay for] 5th as for mounting depending on the size and weight of the unit you have is again a mater of preferance. note the plastic headliner is not a good idea. While you mentioned you did not like a unit with the controles in the mike you might consider aCobra 25wrx it has a very tiny chasis that can be mounted most anywhere and all the controls are in the handset it is a full output radio+ it has the weather channels and a provision for an external speaker if you feel you need it. And just like antanas you get what you pay for. as a final note cb radios are just about worthless for any thing but short range communication between vehicles in convoy or a home base station at short range and onley when atmospheric conditions are right.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With CB radios you will get what you pay for. A real good radio isn't cheap. A cheap one is junk. A good radio, mic and antenna is what you want. As far as actual CB radios, go with a Galaxy DX-959. It has a digital frequency readout and can easily be expanded to 120 channels. It has AM and SSB. The so called toys are nothing but a pain in the *** to serious CB'ers.

I run the radio that I recommended and I am usually way above channel 40 on LSB. A lot fewer jerks up there. Oh ya, I use a 108" steel whip. There is no mobile antenna that can out perform a full sized whip. But they can be a pain in the rear because of the size.

Almost any of the Ham radios will have higher quality than any CB radio. They will also have a lot more power already built into them. Just be sure to stay on 11 meters or you WILL be in hot water. Expect to pay more for them.

Terry
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
1st there is no such thing as a1500 watt cb radio. All cb radios are limmeted to 4 watts max rf output by federal law they can be tuned a little bit higher but not legaly. 2nd you can run a output[linier]amplifier to boost power but again not legaly. 3rd most all cb radios made today are 40 chanels the max no. that are legal. 4th the antana length is pretty much personal preferance but you have to stay with one that is made for cb frequencys.[you get what you pay for] 5th as for mounting depending on the size and weight of the unit you have is again a mater of preferance. note the plastic headliner is not a good idea. While you mentioned you did not like a unit with the controles in the mike you might consider aCobra 25wrx it has a very tiny chasis that can be mounted most anywhere and all the controls are in the handset it is a full output radio+ it has the weather channels and a provision for an external speaker if you feel you need it. And just like antanas you get what you pay for. as a final note cb radios are just about worthless for any thing but short range communication between vehicles in convoy or a home base station at short range and onley when atmospheric conditions are right.
oh yes bubba, look at Conexx 4300-400 WSM they are a monster, bone stock they fun 400 watts. they can be tweked and tuned to 1,500. they come with twin fans and abuilt in Ampp.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 AM

i have the toys but i dont use them as much, i live in the houston tx area and getting out and over all the rachet jawers is a pain in the behind for sure. 99% of the time i will not ever get over 50 Watts. i with you on the wip 108. but it is a pain in parking garage and at the local sonic when i knock out a light with it. and yes you can buy a HAM radio but you can not play with it if you are not HAM lincens holder. i still have trucker in my blood and pretty much stay on 19 and 15. they have a lot of CB rambows and trash talkers on the other end but i dont pay them any mind.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Conexx 4300-400 is not a CB. It is a 10 meter radio which is illegal to sell in the US. They are what is called an export radio. A good radio to convert to 11 meters though.

Terry
Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good advice! Fulltimer is right on the mark. But understand: $1000 worth of equipment on a 1/4 wave mag mount that isn't grounded well and you can talk down the block. Love the conex and galaxy. If you need to talk over 5 miles you'll need to run outlaw (most do ) or sideband. I'd advise a cobra 129 or the like. I spoke to Brazil on a 139 sideband on an antron99 some years ago and spoke to a club in the Mojave daily on lower channels.

BUT$25 for a book $25 for a test $125 for a rig and you can go 2meter ham and talk 30 to 60 miles. If the repeater system in your area is linked you might talk all over the state. Fulltimer your licenced for up to 1500 watts on Most bands The licence is good for 10 years. My station is down at the moment I've listened to people asking for car assistance, directions, I listened to stormspotters in the 90's when all of the tornadoes (about 70 that winter!) ripped through Arkansas in the winter storms!

No potty mouths, and plenty of people at home by a phone and a computer!

Oh and some of the 2 meter rigs have removable faces with extension cables so you can actually mount the face to the dash and the rig under the seat.

Quick Reply: Need some some CB experts with advice!!!