Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need some info.. Upper/Lower Control Arms - Rear Axle Seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Need some info.. Upper/Lower Control Arms - Rear Axle Seals

Aighty guys, I know I haven't posted in a while and have a lot of catching up to do, but I am going to have some time to some very much needed maint. to my truck. I am looking for a few things and am having trouble locating info on it. First off, I have looking for a write up on how to replace both the UPPER and LOWER control arms. My balljoints need replacing and the control arm bushing look like crap. I am mechanically inclined and have all the necessary air tools to complete the job.

I am also looking for a write up to replace the rear axle seals on my truck too. The rear passenger side is leaking and I am starting to smell it on long interstate trips. I know I am going to have to remove the rear differential cover and I do have limited slip. I just changed the rear differential fluid about 6 000 miles ago. I would like a picture write up if possible. Also if there are any pointers on any other maint. I need to do while I have the cover off would be appreciated. I am going to replace both sides so I only have crack the cover once.

Thank ya'll so much in advance for any info you can give me. Ive been way too busy getting my fleet of ambulances ready for summer and really don't have the time to do alot of research. You guys rock!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not know what year your truck is but thats a pretty good video for replacing upper and lower balljoints. Upper balljoint already comes pressed into UCA so that is replaced all together. Pretty convenient in my opinion because its one less balljoint that needs pressing in and comes with new bushings.

Cant help you with the axle seals. Sorry.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah that's a good video. I have a 2004 F150 5.4 Triton 4x4. I have replaced most everything under the front suspension and the control arms are the last thing to do..
Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you have an 04 then its the same style as the truck in the video so you should be able to follow him step by step. In the video, he didnt replace the lower control arms but it should be rather easy since everything is already tore apart.

Quick Reply: Need some info.. Upper/Lower Control Arms - Rear Axle Seals