Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need some help: XLT>FX4 dome lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Need some help: XLT>FX4 dome lights

I am looking at swapping to an FX4 headliner. I did not get the headliner harness with the headliner, but got all the cubbies/lights/rails.

Looking at the XLT dome light, there is a slider switch to set on/off/on with door. This has a 3 pin plug.

Looking at the FX4 dome light, there is no switch, and this takes a 4 pin harness.

Comparing pic below

The red circles are the harness connections. The orange circles appear to be openings for more lights?

On the FX4 pod: Two of these traces appear to be for the orange circles, two appear to be for the main light. No switch present.

On the XLT pod: There are three traces, and the slider goes between the modes to allow on/off/always on.

So here are some thoughts:
  1. Since I am coming from the XLT harness, it looks like I might be able to add my own slider, but the traces would not allow the standard XLT switch functionality without tweaking the traces.
  2. There is probably a dome light switch in the FX4 dash, however, I do not have this 4 pin harness, I can easily fab up the wire to go wherever it needs to go.
  3. What are these other vacant spots used for?

Any help would be great
Old 05-27-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

My FX4 didn't have the slider but if I clicked the light in it would then either the left or right side on/off (whichever you pressed). I'll pull the wiring diagram for the fx4 later and XLT and send it to you. Unfortunately I've sold mine recently so I can't send any pics. I put LEDs in mine but I don't remember extra lights being in mine. Hopefully someone can take a picture for you.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

This particular section is the rear/center dome light. The front ones have the clikcy switches on the lens, but I do like wiring diagrams.

Quick Reply: Need some help: XLT>FX4 dome lights