Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need serious help. *New Member, Please Read*

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:09 AM
The Cold Shoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need serious help. Watch JonBe's truck mature.

Let me start with a little background on myself and how i got my truck. Since the age of 13 i haven't had a weekend off, i'm currently 18. Well up until recently when i quit my job cause college is coming around the corner and what not. So i've worked for my truck, it's MY truck the title is to my name, it's just mine lol and it feels good.

Anyways, as a human being on God's beautiful green earth i'm not content with what i have (sue me). I have PICTURES of my truck in my profile so you guys can check them out.
Here are some things i want:
What i want to do with my truck is to keep it's bright red color, and go red and black with it.

First of all i need tint. I want to go limo tint everywhere i can legally have it (i live in Texas). I'm guesstimating that it'll run me about 100 bucks.
MIRITE?!!?
!Accomplished!

Secondly i want a grill. I don't want to go with a vertical grille so that it looks like a Mark LT. As much as i'd want one there's just something about fords. IDK

i was thinking about this grill:
http://www.wooddashexperts.com/custo...t=37620&page=1

That's 200. Any experiences with grills of this nature? Advise, feedback?

Thirdly a sound system. I already have a box that can hold 2 10"s or 12"s i can't remember. I don't want nothing CRAZY, something that is nice and stops your heart a little bit lol. Any suggestions on what kind of speakers, amps, subs anything i might need to know?

Fourthly i want my truck to purrrr. Before i wanted to go with the whole mudding scene. Lift my truck a good foot or so and just have it worked on. But i'm more of a performance and show type of guy so i want some headers or something thats nice on my truck. That sounds nice and gives me some performance.
Again any suggestions?

Fifthly i want some nice lights. I want those white lights, i think they're called HID lights. But i also want to but the smoked headlight and tail light covers. those would run me about no more than 150$. Any one have experiences with these? suggestion anything.

Well as you can see i hav big plans and i can pay for all of this except a nice set of rims which is why i didn't mention them. So please any feedback would be appreciated.

Here are some cool vids where i got some ideas from.

F-150 vs Lambo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0xEwAMwTQ

Badass F-150:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFGh-tDmkNc

Doritos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhgsz5DH7Mo

PLEASE HELP!
Before(tint and tires):

[Taken: May 1st,2008]

After(tint and tires):

[Taken: March19th,2009]

Last edited by JonBeBonanza; 03-19-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBeBonanza
Let me start with a little background on myself and how i got my truck. Since the age of 13 i haven't had a weekend off, i'm currently 18. Well up until recently when i quit my job cause college is coming around the corner and what not. So i've worked for my truck, it's MY truck the title is to my name, it's just mine lol and it feels good.

Anyways, as a human being on God's beautiful green earth i'm not content with what i have (sue me). I have PICTURES of my truck in my profile so you guys can check them out.
Here are some things i want:
What i want to do with my truck is to keep it's bright red color, and go red and black with it.

First of all i need tint. I want to go limo tint everywhere i can legally have it (i live in Texas). I'm guesstimating that it'll run me about 100 bucks. MIRITE?!!?

Secondly i want a grill. I don't want to go with a vertical grille so that it looks like a Mark LT. As much as i'd want one there's just something about fords. IDK

i was thinking about this grill:
http://www.wooddashexperts.com/custo...t=37620&page=1

That's 200. Any experiences with grills of this nature? Advise, feedback?

Thirdly a sound system. I already have a box that can hold 2 10"s or 12"s i can't remember. I don't want nothing CRAZY, something that is nice and stops your heart a little bit lol. Any suggestions on what kind of speakers, amps, subs anything i might need to know?

Fourthly i want my truck to purrrr. Before i wanted to go with the whole mudding scene. Lift my truck a good foot or so and just have it worked on. But i'm more of a performance and show type of guy so i want some headers or something thats nice on my truck. That sounds nice and gives me some performance.
Again any suggestions?

Fifthly i want some nice lights. I want those white lights, i think they're called HID lights. But i also want to but the smoked headlight and tail light covers. those would run me about no more than 150$. Any one have experiences with these? suggestion anything.

Well as you can see i hav big plans and i can pay for all of this except a nice set of rims which is why i didn't mention them. So please any feedback would be appreciated.

Here are some cool vids where i got some ideas from.

F-150 vs Lambo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0xEwAMwTQ

Badass F-150:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFGh-tDmkNc

Doritos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhgsz5DH7Mo

PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to the site. Working weekends since the age of 13 huh? Alrighty then. Let's address these in order:

1) Tint for 100 bucks; only way to verify this is to take the truck to a tint shop and have them give you an estimate. Make sure the shop performs the tinting INDOORS. Avoid shops that install tint outside, as lint, dirt, and any other wind driven stuff can get behind the tint as it's being installed.

2) Grill. Very suggestive. Go with what you like; it's your truck. There are many styles. Pick the one that makes the truck into the style you want.

3) Sound system - Head over to the sound (audio) forum on this site. You'll do better in getting opinions and head unit/speaker advice there. it is dedicated to just that: sound systems.

4) Purrrr - Use the search. There are countless threads on this subject; they come up 3 to 4 times a month. But no doubt it will get repeated here once again. I made a pac with myself that I'd stop complaining about these same topics that come up, so I'll let the other repeat themselves over and over (and over).

5) Lights - I have the HID low beam system in my 2005. Like it. I paid $90.00 for it off of EBay. It was "plug and Play"; removed the stock bulb, inserted the blue (8000) bulb, mounted their "boxes" (one on each headlight side), plugged the box wiring harness into the stock wiring headlight harness. Done.
There are a couple of systems: low beam HID only, or low/high beam HID. I went with low beam only, as I rarely use high beams, and the low beam HID's are bright! The low/high beam HID's cost more (about 30 to 40 bucks more).
Old 03-17-2009, 10:22 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that Limo tint looks cool but its a pain in the A$% when backing up that truck at night. You cant see anything behind you through the back glass to tell when you about to hit something.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by f150cwcw
I know that Limo tint looks cool but its a pain in the A$% when backing up that truck at night. You cant see anything behind you through the back glass to tell when you about to hit something.
My friend is trying to get me to do this as well on my truck. I'm debating it myself, but at least I have the backup sensors and a sliding rear window . If I ever get the backup camera, I'll definately be set.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:42 AM
The Cold Shoulder

At bucko:
Thanks for the advise, loved the way you answered in the order i asked, i appreciate that. I just signed up yesterday night, didn't get a real chance to browse as much as i could.

I'll get at you more with some messages or something. But what would you recommend (since you seem like a well Truck guru) for having a truck to never get stuck in sand? Was at the beach today and got stuck! Now i've been stuck before, but friends have always been my problem solvers. But i mean i had about 8-10 friends pushing me out ( strong dudes, state baseball champ dudes) and they couldn't even get me out, i was in DEEP.

So this guy comes in with his chevy and is like i KNOW i can get you out. So he did, but even he had to admit that i was in deep because he said his back tires weren't spinning only his front ones, his back ones couldn't. But anyways how can i have my truck be to the point where it's the one pulling people out as apposed to being pulled out?

As for the limo tint. I know it's gonna be a pain, but i'm a very skilled driver even at such a young age, so i'll just endure that.

Also what do you guys recommend for tires? I'm going to get some tomorrow and am thinking about going with some BF Goodrich All Terrain?

And advise?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 AM

Stuck truck:
Sand or mud tires, lower inflation pressure (locking bead rims for really low pressure), wider tires for floatation...

Blackout:
I've got an all red '08 FX4 and am going black/red also. Here's my recommendations.
1. Keep the stock grill for last to change - it is already black.
2. Go with black powdercoated exhaust tips (under $100 mod) - I have side out in front of the rear wheel.
3. Use black powdercoat tube steps (under $300 mod).
4. Switch to all black wheels ($800 - $1200 mod).
5. Black hard tonneau cover ($600 - $1200 mod) - I am going with lazerlite aluminum for very low profile and light weight -or- diamondback brand with black lineX coating if you want one that stands out.
6. Tint all windows to the same level of darkness - front lighter than rear windows doesn't look as good. Doesn't have to be as dark as limo black to look good.

Here's pics from diamondback of their line-x coated cover on a black F-150 with black wheels (second row in the middle):
http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/linex/pictures.asp

Last edited by reginhild; 03-18-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 AM
The Cold Shoulder

Originally Posted by reginhild
Stuck truck: Sand or mud tires, lower inflation pressure (locking bead rims for really low pressure), wider tires for floatation...
So would that be a yes or no to the All Terrains? lol I mean i'm not too tire savvy so... explain a bit?

And after my friend saw me getting hauled out of the sandtrap looking thing i was in at the beach today, he got in super cocky with his truck, told us to cover his tires and we did. I mean all four tires were covered with sand. I mean we opened the bed of the truck and it was about 6 inches from the sand. And within 5 minutes his truck told the sand "**** you" and got out like nothing. I mean his truck is lifted and all but what else is involved in him getting out so easily? Does he have anything special under the hood?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:31 AM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Tires: Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains
Exhaust: Magnaflow
Intake: pretty much any reputable Cold Air intake
Grill: whatever style u like
GET A TUNER! SCT or Gryphon
Audio: No idea

Customization is all about personal preference man...The hardest part is finding out how and where to find what u want. The best advice I can give is to spend some time surfing the forum...theres tons of cool ideas, badass trucks, and good people to help u along the way

Love that Doritos commercial..cracks me up every time.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 AM
The Cold Shoulder

Haha yea the commercial is an instant classic. And yeai've been browsing the forum since i got home.

Whats the whole TUNER thing? And i've heard about magnaflow, what exactly is it and how much am i looking at?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by JonBeBonanza
So would that be a yes or no to the All Terrains? lol I mean i'm not too tire savvy so... explain a bit?

And after my friend saw me getting hauled out of the sandtrap looking thing i was in at the beach today, he got in super cocky with his truck, told us to cover his tires and we did. I mean all four tires were covered with sand. I mean we opened the bed of the truck and it was about 6 inches from the sand. And within 5 minutes his truck told the sand "**** you" and got out like nothing. I mean his truck is lifted and all but what else is involved in him getting out so easily? Does he have anything special under the hood?
All terrains will not be as good as pure mud or sand tires but will be more useable on the road and less expensive. With all terrains, ask the shop about the maximum width you could go to for better floatation. You will pay more for wider tires and loose MPG but you won't get stuck in mud or sand as easily. Sometimes you loose turning radius and have to put in a special part to stop tires from rubbing the wheel well when turning if you go to really wide tires. Lowering the tire pressure helps produce a larger contact patch as well.

P.S.: I added more to my post above with blackout recommendations.

Quick Reply: Need serious help. *New Member, Please Read*