Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Rotors

Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Rotors

So I just bought a 2007 Lariat Screw with about 21k. But before I take delivery I demanded the rear rotors be replaced. They are down to .71 and .72 so althought they pass inspection, that is unsatisfactory to me. While I may be being picky, I'd rather not take home such a good lucking truck and within a month already have vibration problems. Anyway I was hoping someone could tell me about what rotors to pick up for the rear wheels on a 4x2. I have been on rotorpro.net and brakeperformance.com doing some research and reading other threads. I am looking for durability over performance, but obviously minimizing dust is a plus.

Anway, I'm thinking cross drilled and slotted are the best choice for rotors and possibly ceramic? However I don't want the water buildup in the slots to cause any rusting, but then again I act like I know what I'm talking about but I really don't. I know FMC screwed up big time with these rotors and so I want to through aftermarket ones on. If someone could learn me that would be much appreciated.

I'm new to the site but as soon as I take delivery I can't wait to post some pictures and see what mods can be done. Thanks for your help!
Ford-Parasail

Last edited by Ford-Parasail; 05-25-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Wait... Why are you worried about that thickness? On average, rear rotors on these trucks should last you at least 75k under normal driving conditions.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Administrator

IDK how many people on here will have access to micrometers to tell you what their rotors measure, but for those rotors to have any wear to warrant replacement, it would have to have been beaten like it owed someone money or seen HEAVY towing duty. I've got 108k on my F150 Supercrew 4x4 and am on the original rear rotors. They are developing a slight vibration as of the last few thousand but for how old they are, so be it.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting for my slotted and dimpled rotors from Rotorpro. I bought a set for my Stang a few months ago and love them.Good people to deal with. Here are a few pics of the crossdrilled and slotted for my Stang...

Old 05-26-2010, 01:43 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

I've seen this topic debated endlessly on another forum. Two brake engineers pretty much answered all the questions about slotted, drilled, etc.

Slotted rotors were to allow offgassing with organic pad compounds. Seen any organic pads lately?

Cross drilling works, but also leads to early rotor failure, as it gives a pre-engineered weak spot for cracks to form. Done properly, it allows for better cooling of the rotor, but has to be done in an insanely precise manner to work. There's a reason that a brake setup for a race car costs thousands of dollars for the pads, calipers and rotors before even adding cooling ductwork. Much of the cost is in the design.

There are issues with the OEM rotors, but a good set of aftermarket rotors (as in not cast in China) takes care of those problems.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM

Well I've been trying to do as much research as possible to pick some lasting rotors so after 20k I wont be in the same situation. I get the idea from everywhere that the consensus is drilled rotors can crack easily and slotted will wear my brake pads. Both of those combinations I'd rather not go with so after some more research I decided that I would run down to Napa Autoparts and buy a pair of theirs. Their reviews on rotors seems to be very good AND I was told they were NOT made in China, but the US. That eases a lot of my worries becuase I did not want to buy some more crappy mixed metal from China like Ford put in their originially.

So, having said all this. I'm going to try these rotors, make sure my calibers are all in good shape and everything is greased up. To extend brake life I may put some ceramic pads in there, if necessary after the first few thousand miles. I'm hoping to get 60 to 80k out of these new rotors, but we will see. Hopefully I'll be able to take delivery today and really get things going on this site. Thanks a lot for all your help and I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes with these rotors so the rotor debate can be settled, for the meantime atleast. Thanks again!
Ford-Parasail
Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
Wait... Why are you worried about that thickness? On average, rear rotors on these trucks should last you at least 75k under normal driving conditions.
He's at/below the Ford minimum thickness of .72. I'm impressed with the OP's inspection, I should take you along on my next vehicle purchase.

I haven't done any real research on brakes for our trucks, but on every truck forum I've been on, regardless of make, Hawk has by far been the most recommended pad manufacturer.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

^ Ok.... if that being the case, how hard has that 21k miles been on that truck. I have worked at a Volvo service department for 6 years and for Dodge for 2 years before that (before joining the CG) and to have rear rotors worn out before it hits 30k indicates 1 of 2 things. Either severe duty/abuse or a problem.

No way should a normally operated vehicle be chewing thru a rotor after just 21k miles. I dont care what kinda vehicle it is or what its brake performance history is. Even to have the FRONT rotors toast after 21k miles would make me wonder. Much less the rear.

Last edited by Lenn; 05-26-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Administrator

If it were rust pitting from prolonged sitting causing a vibration or something like that ("lot-rot" as they call it), then I could understand, but being below minimum thickeness boggles my mind.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Well I'm not sure why they were already at .72 discard thickness and barely passing inspection. 21k was put on the car in 3 years before I purchased so I would imagine it couldn't have been driven into the ground that much. It was driven in a city atmosphere hence more breaking, but I still see your point. All I can say is that from the research I've done, prior to 2008, Ford used rotors factory produced outside of the US and in China. Becuase of this, the rotors are one, cheaper for Ford to purchase, and two they suck. They are composite mixed metals, that conduct so much heat and are not able to cool at a proper rate. This leads to easy warpage and a distorted reading on discard thickness. Aside from that, I'm not sure why they would be so thin.

On a different note, I have been driving on these new rotors for a week. Diagnosis - GOOD. Got them from napa, American made and distributed. Now I only bought two as I mentioned for the rear. And let me say this, there has been ZERO brake dust on the rear rims and good lord is there a lot of brake dust on the front two rims that are Ford factory rotors. Brakes are smooth, I tend to not ride them much anyway. Next purchase is two after market rotors for front tires, and 4 ceramic brake pads all the way around. This way this will be the last time I deal with this brake hassle.

Thanks a lot for everyones input. P.S the front rotor discard thickness was at 1.12 when I bought it. So the front ones are fine, so no concern about abuse, those are pretty thick still. Thanks again guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Rotors