Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need opinions on this truck!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on this truck!

I haven't had a Ford for a few years and i have a 2007 Tundra right now on lease. Looking to buy a truck and i can buy out my lease, but if i do i want to lift it and get 35'' mud tires on it. I came across a nice 2007 F150 w/FX4 package and leather interior that has caught my eye as it already has a brand new lift, tires and rims on it. The truck rides great even with these tires on it, but i do miss my power of the tundra. I drive more reasonable with age (but i'm still under 40 lol) and love the looks of this truck so i could sacrific some power- but it has alot more go than a similar chevy i drove that had the 5.3L in it! Anyway, what kinda mpg's can i expect with this truck as it has the 3.73's in it with a 4'' lift and 35'' tires on it? Also, how has the reliability been on the 5.4L motor and transmissions for 2007 (any more spark plugs blowing or trannies failing)? Like i said i love the looks, but not sure about the reliability after hearing so much about F150's over the past decade! Here are a few pics of it:
Attached Images     
Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Forgot to mention, it NEEDS dual exhaust yet, so what sounds the best on a 5.4L as i don't want any drone or to make my wife and kids scream at me when they are in the truck lol! It does however need to bark when i get on it, just don't need the cops tailing me as in my city they are really bad when it come to modding vehicles.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:52 PM

okay. well this is a ford site so sorry to say i think your gunna get some biased results here. that being said i would say go for the f150. my dad just bought an 08 tundra and that is a nice truck. but IMO it lacks the "TRUCK" look. i've never driven it out of the driveway so i couldn't tell you about power differences. as for the ford, with with a few mods such as exhaust, intake and tune you will be having plenty of power, even without the mods it still aint bad. so i say go F150!!

As for exhaust, i might say to go with flowmaster super 40's as they were designed to sound nice but have minimal drone in the cab. i have no personal experience with them but i know alot of people on here have! and sorry i dont know about the mileage. sorry but im sure someone on here will.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Truck & Car Hobbyist

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is a really nice FX4. Its an 07, so all the kinks have been fixed. If the price is right, go for it.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 PM

I know it will be biased, but so would the tundra site if i asked this over there lol! Anyway, i just want to be sure Ford has all their "issues" taken care of by 2007 and wanted to get a idea of mpg's. So far i see just about everything from 10-18 mpg's with both stock setups and lifts with 35's on them and some stock setups are getting worse mpg's than the lifted ones???? I mainly drive back winding country roads at 60 mph and maybe 20% city. I travel another 20% on the highway usually at about 70mph, i don't need to go 80! I would be happy with 13-14 mpg's on average, is it realistic? BTW, why is their no computer in a FX4 that gives you instantanious mpg's- is it that bad they don't want you to know lol?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 PM

I have a 2006 FX4 Screw almost identical to that one, except I don't have a lift. I drive mine 125 miles every day, usually averaging 75-85mph (any slower on I-4 and you're liable to get killed and I'm usually late for work). I get about 14-16mpg during the week. I drove it from Tampa to DC at Christmas for the second time and averaged about 19-21mpg when driving the speed limit. Take from that what you will.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Psychorugby
I have a 2006 FX4 Screw almost identical to that one, except I don't have a lift. I drive mine 125 miles every day, usually averaging 75-85mph (any slower on I-4 and you're liable to get killed and I'm usually late for work). I get about 14-16mpg during the week. I drove it from Tampa to DC at Christmas for the second time and averaged about 19-21mpg when driving the speed limit. Take from that what you will.
You have oversized tires? I'm guessing not 35's without a lift. My Tundra's mpg's tank over 70mph, but under i get 19 hwy driving with stock tires.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by troystoy
<CUT> I would be happy with 13-14 mpg's on average, is it realistic? BTW, why is their no computer in a FX4 that gives you instantanious mpg's- is it that bad they don't want you to know lol?
Exhaust, CAI, Gryphon(Programmer). Will give you more than enough power, and the Gryphon will allow to see instantaneous mpgs'.

I have 4.10s, 3" front lift 2" adl rear and a HEAVY right foot and I'm getting 13.5 city driving. I Drive like 3 miles on the interstate everyday but by the time I get on the interstate it's time to exit....
Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
'06 F150 4.6L V8 Triton

My biased opinion says that's a badass truck.

Don't worry.. I was on the "Hate Fords" bandwagon since I was born.. now I own one.

I actually still have all my chevy shirts and hats.. lol.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chapman
My biased opinion says that's a badass truck.

Don't worry.. I was on the "Hate Fords" bandwagon since I was born.. now I own one.

I actually still have all my chevy shirts and hats.. lol.
Wow, we should compare closets as i got a few Ford, Chevy and Pontiac Racing jackets in mine lol, but now drive a Tundra! Anyway, the Dealer will have to get ride of those rims as part of the deal, i told him i wanted the Diamo rims he puts on alot of his trucks instead along with dual exhaust. Sounds like people here like flowmaster super 40's? I always had good luck with magnaflow myself and have it on my tundra right now.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on this truck!