Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Opinion, kinda nervous...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need Opinion, kinda nervous...

Amazon.com: Tune Up SetTM Complete Set of 8 Heavy Duty Ignition coil DG-508 & 8 Motorcraft spark plug SP-413: Automotive Amazon.com: Tune Up SetTM Complete Set of 8 Heavy Duty Ignition coil DG-508 & 8 Motorcraft spark plug SP-413: Automotive

Thinking about buying this set of plugs and coils. Any opinions on this? I have a friend that is willing to change out the plugs and coils for a price, not sure how much to pay him for doing it. I have a 2004 XLT 4.6, about a month ago I had the C1 replaced bc of misfires. Im hoping by doing this this will help the truck drive better and help shift the gears better. Any opinions is appresh. Thanks
Old 04-17-2015, 10:43 AM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

plugs and coils in the 4.6 are no big deal at all. How many miles are on the current plugs?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

186k, only owned the truck for about 3 years and have never changed them.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just did this on my truck last weekend, no big deal at all...
I kept my stock coils but replaced the boots and springs and plugs, the hard part is just having the right tools, takes some creative thinking of you don't, and also, some parts are SAE and others metric... Basically, u could prob do it yourself... Take off your intake for just a little bit more room on the driver's side, although I started on the passenger side, I just got it out of the way... The worst plug to deal with on the passenger side was the third plug back, whilst the driver's side was the first and last plugs that were the bastards... I only loosened the fuel rail a little bit on both sides, but you may not even have to do that, I just did it because I wanted extra room to work... And also, don't forget to blast out the plug wells with compressed air after you take off the coils and boots, you wouldn't believe the amount of **** down there, so wear some sunglasses to protect your eyes... The gap for the plugs on our trucks is crazy, it was actually larger than the gapping tool I have, mine only went up to 0.045, so I just eye-balled them with the OEM plugs and pretty much installed them as they came out of the box, I've had no problems.. PM me if you want me to throw some pics your way or if you have any questions, u can def do it, I didn't think I could, but I did
Old 04-18-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh yeah, and also double check in your manual what to torque the plugs too when u re-install, I wanna say it was 28???
Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I would buy some real coils other than those cheap Chinese ones. Accel is a good midway brand if you cannot afford the OEM Motorcrafts.

Quick Reply: Need Opinion, kinda nervous...