Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Lightning drive train help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Lightning drive train help

Hi all,

I have a 1997 F250 4WD light-duty 3/4 ton. This pickup was built from '96 through '98 to replace the aging F250 Heavy Duty prior to the new Super Duty coming out. This truck uses a 7-lug wheel (yes, you read that right, a 7-lug wheel). It is basically an F150 upgraded to 3/4 ton specs and is listed in many catalogs as an "Under 8500GVW" F250. Mine has an early 5.4L Triton motor rated at 235HP and 365 lb-ft of torque. It now has just over 100K miles on it and because it has been driven hard all it's life, including towing my '95 Cobra R to the track several times a year it is painfully lacking in the power and torque department. I am considering dropping in a drive train from a '99 or later Lightning, including the tranny and intercooler setup. Since my truck is based on the F150 I am assuming that the intercooler and the other associated plumbing would present little, if any, difficulty to get into place and hooked up. One thing I need help with is the tranny mating to my transfer case. Does anyone know if the tranny used in the Lightning will bolt up to an F150 4WD transfer case? The other thing I need advice with is locating a good used Lightning drive train. I assume these things must get wrecked occasionally, so does anyone know of a wrecker that specializes in Ford pickups or Lightnings in particular?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 01-20-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that lightning should have a 4r100. your truck should have a 4r70w. they are pretty much identical, with disregaurd to internals.... so im pretty sure the tail shafts are the same. so you shouldnt have a problem bolting up your transfer case. make sure you use the lightning torque converter. hope i helped. good luck with your project. if the lightning trans wont bolt up for some reason you could always have your trans beefed up by a trans shop. it will def bolt up to the 5.4 and make sure you get the engine harness. they are different. with high regards to the electric water pump for the intercooler. and you will need the intercooler degas bottle (overflow tank)

Quick Reply: Need Lightning drive train help