Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need honest opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need honest opinions...

What's up guys, new to the forum. I'm an avid user of the sites information and it's various resources so I thought it was time for me to ask some questions myself.. So I have a 2004 lariat 5.4 3v that I've had since 46k when I bought it 5 years ago. Over those 5 years I've become an ASE certified auto technician and put 104k miles on my truck as it sits with 150k. Never had any troubles with the engine, synthetic oil changes every 3.5k, spark plugs at 120k (7 out of 8 broke...) manifold re-seal and fix vacuum leaks and that about it other than wear and tear items. I love this truck and we've been through a lot but I myself, as well as my shop, has done various major repairs or entire engine replacements on 3v 5.4l engines over the last few years. Granted, most of these were hard driven work type trucks with questionable maintenance at times and I am borderline obsessive with maintenance but I can't help but have this feeling in the back of my mind that even though I've cared for mine excellent, that it will crap out on me and start having pattern failures at any moment. Obviously I can fix any major problems myself but I do it all day everyday for money, any mechanic knows it's a drag fixing you're own car. Basically should I bank on keeping the truck for as long as I can? (200-250k) or should I thank my lucky stars and get out of it for a newer more refined model while I can? Thanks guys, venting done.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

No one can really tell you what to do. There are so many reasons as to why to get rid of a vehicle and keep it. So, I will give you the reasons why I am keeping my truck. My 2005 has 207k miles at the moment so the value is pretty low. It has been very trouble free for the 100k worth of miles that I have put on it so I feel very good about the time I have owned it. Plus, last year I put about $2200 into it, all fluids were flushed, new spark plugs and COPs, shocks and struts, battery, and tires. I plan on driving it until a major issues arises and then at that point I will decide if I will fix it. I only drive it occasionally now so I hope to keep if for several more years.

Quick Reply: Need honest opinions...