Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help w/ backup camera trigger wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w/ backup camera trigger wire

Hello I have just installed a backup camera and I need a bit of help.

Model is a 2008 F-150 XL regular cab. There is some aftermarket wiring as there used to be an ARE canopy with a camper back hatch replacing the tailgate. I haven't removed this wiring yet.

Camera model is a TaoTronics TT-CC17 license plate cam
Head unit is a Kenwood DDX672BH

So I went with the commonly stated black wire with a pink stripe running along the driver side bundle.

The wire does activate my camera but then the head unit stays on when I'm no longer in reverse, leading me to believe its not the right one... it also does not need to be in reverse to switch to RCAM it does it as soon as I turn it on when this wire is hooked up.

I have a picture attached of the Black / pink wire and the bright reverse trigger wire from my head unit. This is to the side of the driver door beneath the panel on the floor.

Can anyone give me a different wire in this bundle that I should hook reverse trigger wire up to or should I run to the green yellow somewhere on the passenger side (where on the passenger side?)

I could poke around but I have some other projects to work on so a quick answer would save me the time. Thanks a lot for reading.
Attached Thumbnails Need help w/ backup camera trigger wire-2015-03-28-09.19.31.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Man idk that's why i didnt mess with the wires right there, i just ran another wire with the RCA, then tied into Reverse light. The Camera should be on RCAM brown RCA port as you said. I read its the black and purplish and thats the colors they were at my reverse light.. If its a pioneer deck, turn all the aux, and camera settings off, Mute to Mute, and just set camera polarity to Battery.

I do know there is a black and pink that will get you confused. Reverse light was a Black and real dark purplish pink tint i believe, but i didnt dig for any other, see if you can find another lookalike one.

Last edited by MHOWELL34; 03-28-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Need help w/ backup camera trigger wire-nqnylnl.jpg
Need help w/ backup camera trigger wire-jdagwi0.jpg
Need help w/ backup camera trigger wire-ix0o6uu.png

Last edited by MHOWELL34; 03-28-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I connected mine to the reverse light back at the taillight. I used it to power the camera and trigger the head unit. It has worked great and I have a very similar setup.
The following users liked this post:
MHOWELL34 (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 04:18 PM

did you just hook the reverse trigger in the same way as you hooked up the power trigger for the camera?

almost everything is working fine as I can manually turn on and off the reverse camera feed, the only thing I really need to sort out is the trigger which will manually override it for me...

It sounds like polarity settings might be a fix for this issue but there are none in my menu. I will scour the manual again but the rcam section is really small and the only option is RCAM interrupt yes/no
Old 03-28-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jshillin
I connected mine to the reverse light back at the taillight. I used it to power the camera and trigger the head unit. It has worked great and I have a very similar setup.
OK, I remember reading this can cause some problems but don't remember what. I will probably try this.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by jshillin
i did this as well
Old 03-29-2015, 12:27 PM

Ended up using an existing wire which ran from the brake light to the back for the canopy brake light to tap my reverse trigger wire from the head unit into the reverse light wire the camera is hooked up to. Works just fine.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Frito Bandito

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

why is nobody using pin #6 from the stock harness? At least in my 08' tap into pin #6 as well as running a RCA cable from the stock camera wiring in the passenger side door jamb.

Easier than finding the other wires, just suggesting!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Tfolks206
why is nobody using pin #6 from the stock harness? At least in my 08' tap into pin #6 as well as running a RCA cable from the stock camera wiring in the passenger side door jamb.

Easier than finding the other wires, just suggesting!
Pin #6 of the "stock harness"....can you elaborate?

I have the factory wiring book for my 2007; in it, there are many, many "wiring harness" connector points, each with pin numbers 1 to n. While I can easily find the reverse light feed at the cabin harness that runs in the drivers side foot well, others without the wiring book may not.

It would be much easier for others if you explain what pin #6 of what connector you are refering to.

Quick Reply: Need help w/ backup camera trigger wire