Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Help. Violent Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help. Violent Shaking

I have a 04 FX4 SCREW. For a little while now on my 50 mile drive to and from work I could feel a slight vibration at any speed above 60mph. About a week ago it has started to get much worse.. The last time I drove the truck at said speeds which was 2 days ago, the whole truck shakes so bad that you can see the bed jumping all around and even hear a loud banging from the bed slamming around. The whole cab shakes just as bad, if I have an open can in the cupholder the drink will fly everywhere out of the top. When someone idle riding with me you can hear the vibration in their voice when they speak...... So I took the truck in and had the tires rotated and balanced as a start... This did not fix the problem. They said that the inner tread on all 4 of my tires is wearing much faster then the rest and that I need new tires.. After pricing tires today and being told that inner tread ware is due to mechanical issues, I am hesitant to spend $1300 on new tires to still have the shake and eat them up... Anyone have any ideas on what I should do from here? I have 3 days until I have to be back at work, so I need to take care of this is ASAP.. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

look at your upper and lower ball joints in the front end. They may be worn out. if you jack the truck up and can push the top and bottom of the wheel toward the truck then away and there is play in it then its time for ball joints.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaredTanner
look at your upper and lower ball joints in the front end. They may be worn out. if you jack the truck up and can push the top and bottom of the wheel toward the truck then away and there is play in it then its time for ball joints.
Also could be rear bearings .. mine was doing this but around 30 mph.. Hope you find out what's wrong
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07 f150 super crew, mine was doing about the same but it was an outer tie rod
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

A few people have had broken front coil springs. Check all suspension parts for breaks and/or integrity. Have you been in the mud? Could be a simple balance issue...
Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 PM

I just wanted to follow up all this comments by saying aren't we lucky we have so many great people on this forum. So many great ideas tossing around this place. Just amazes me.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qt5ebop3i...%2025%20PM.mov

My truck just recently started doing this. It's at random times an doesn't not do it every day. This morning I finally got a video showing how violently it shakes.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxllv5kh6l...%2019%20PM.mov

And here's another.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 AM

Look at all the things listed above. You will likely find your answer. Bearings, ball joints, coils, tie rods. Look at everything that is part of the suspension.
Edit: sorry to be so vague but there are many things that could cause that. It could be one large thing or a few minor things that contribute to it.

Last edited by JaredTanner; 05-17-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:37 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Slight vibration getting worse with time and speed?

Possible U-joints in the craptastic driveshaft, especially as it's showing up with bed shake.

Tires? ALL 4 tires worn on the inner edge? Don't know how you'd fark up the camber on a solid rear axle, but first I'd look for myself and find another tire shop. Maybe go to a mechanic who isn't going to instantly try to sell you tires?

Worn on the fronts I'd understand, ball joints, already mentioned, will quickly do that. In addition, as already mentioned, the front coils on these trucks tend to break right above the seat, which can cause alignment issues, causing premature tire wear.

Advice? Find a trusted mechanic in a small shop. Have them look at it and see what they think. Soudns like you're going to a tire sales place and they're selling you mechanic work to pad their bill.

Quick Reply: Need Help. Violent Shaking