Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help with a (sometimes) noisy 5.4...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a (sometimes) noisy 5.4...

I have a 2005 F250 Super Duty, 5.4, with just over 56k miles that I need help diagnosing an engine noise issue. I realize that this is an F150 forum, but hopefully someone here can help. When the engine is cold, it runs great but is just slightly noisier than I think it should be. (Sounds more like a 150k mile 4.6 Crown Victoria at idle.) It has good acceleration and will drive great for a very short distance. With no warning signs, the engine will start to rattle, like it looses oil pressure. Sounds mostly like top-end rattle, similiar to an older engine with worn-out lifters, only much louder and more pronounced. No lower end knock, just a lot of "rattling". Shut the truck off, wait a couple seconds, and restart...noise goes away. It may do this after a mile or two or maybe just 1/4 mile. Occurred once when I lost traction and tire was spinning. Always occurs under accelleration, but not sure at what RPM.

Originally, it had codes that indicated bad cam position sensors. Not knowing about the many 5.4 cam phaser/VCT solenoid issues, I changed the cam sensors and cleared the codes. Obviously, this did not fix it. So I researched a little more and what I read led me to change the VCT solenoids, which I replaced with new Ford parts. I also changed the oil using a Motorcraft filter and 5W20 oil. The old filter was a Motorcraft as well. Drove the truck 3-4 miles, and it seemed like it was fixed. Went for a drive today and made it 1/2 mile before it happenned again.

I am not sure where to go from here. From what I have read, cam phasers make noise cold, and all the time. Mine is fairly quiet cold, but rattles like crazy, suddenly, when under accelleration and at operating temp. And is always quieted back down when restarted. It will do this over and over again. So, where do I go from here? I don't mind spending the money for the phasers, but after just spending almost $200 for the VCT solenoids, I'd like to make sure that the phasers will cure it. Or is there something else that I am missing? If the oil pump were weak, I'd think that I would have spun a bearing by now. Any suggestions???
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Your oil pump pick up could be plugged with plastic remnants of your timing chain guides and tensioners. I would drop the oil pan and check or use a video inspection tool through the drain plug...
If you see black plastic in the pan, then your timing system needs a full rebuild... Dump the oil from the drain plug through a screen so you can check for little bits of plastic...
Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the idea. I had thought about a clogged pickup tube, but figured it would remain clogged all the time. I didn't see anything unusual in the oil when I changed it, but then again, I wasnt really looking either. I imagine any pieces would be easy to spot now, as the oil only has about ten miles on it, so I'll drain it out. If nothing is noticeable, I'll try removing the oil pan. Have you removed the pan on one of these trucks? Is there enough clearance to get the pan out without jacking the engine up?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM

I would love to know what you find out the problem is because my 150 is doing the exact same thing.

Quick Reply: Need help with a (sometimes) noisy 5.4...