Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Help She Got Wet

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Help She Got Wet

Hey guys I need some help. I drove through a water puddle on a paved road that was kind of deep that splashed up pretty good. Not to long after the truck died down and stalled. It would always restart and I would rev it up to about 3000 rpms for about 30 seconds or so then it would die down and die. I did this about a dozen times with the same result until the last time where it didn't die down so I let it idle for awhile hoping what got wet might dry off and drove off. I drove around for a good part of an afternoon and then a 1 hour highway drive that was dry driving. Almost getting to the end of the drive she died down again almost like running out of fuel. It did the same thing again where it would rev up the die. This time it would die down sometimes like it had lost its timing and buck. I would rev it up then try to shift into reverse and it would stall immediately. I left the truck overnight then tried it in the morning and it fired right up and I drove another 15 minutes with no problem. The next day not long into my drive it started again.
Was the water a contributing factor or just a coincidence. Can it be the pump module got wet? Coils or something else that is giving me this problem?

Thanks any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes i would check the FPDM on the rear axle, i went thru some high water last year...and mine had a crack on it and water got in ...replaced it...and runs great now....
Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

^^^sounds like good advice. I would check the fpdm. You can get a replacement for around $60 from amazon. It's abbot more expensive from the local autozone/o'rielly/pep boys.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same exact issue once where I experienced the same symptoms after blasting through a large puddle. My issue went away after a long drive...might still be wet somewhere idk but hopefully it goes away!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Agreed. If you've never changed the fpdm out I'd bet money that's the issue. Changed mine preemptive after my cousin had problems with his and found it corroded through to the motherboard inside. Wouldn't be surprised if yours did the same and water got in it.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddy Crewger
Hey guys I need some help. I drove through a water puddle on a paved road that was kind of deep that splashed up pretty good. Not to long after the truck died down and stalled. It would always restart and I would rev it up to about 3000 rpms for about 30 seconds or so then it would die down and die. I did this about a dozen times with the same result until the last time where it didn't die down so I let it idle for awhile hoping what got wet might dry off and drove off. I drove around for a good part of an afternoon and then a 1 hour highway drive that was dry driving. Almost getting to the end of the drive she died down again almost like running out of fuel. It did the same thing again where it would rev up the die. This time it would die down sometimes like it had lost its timing and buck. I would rev it up then try to shift into reverse and it would stall immediately. I left the truck overnight then tried it in the morning and it fired right up and I drove another 15 minutes with no problem. The next day not long into my drive it started again.
Was the water a contributing factor or just a coincidence. Can it be the pump module got wet? Coils or something else that is giving me this problem?

Thanks any help will be appreciated.
you never thought once to pop the hood and look at what may have gotten wet ? Instead you just keep driving it..
Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
you never thought once to pop the hood and look at what may have gotten wet ? Instead you just keep driving it..
Of course I did and and it looked like nothing had really splashed up into the engine bay. It looked dry.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:34 AM

Got the truck sitting in a heated garage overnight and trying a new FPDM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

I really hate it because it's such an easy thing to diagnose if it's the FPDM, but just saying "Check the FPDM" makes it sound like it's difficult.

You literally just drop the spare and look up, if it's corroded and broken open, it's an easy diagnosis and an even easier replacement procedure.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by elricfate
I really hate it because it's such an easy thing to diagnose if it's the FPDM, but just saying "Check the FPDM" makes it sound like it's difficult.

You literally just drop the spare and look up, if it's corroded and broken open, it's an easy diagnosis and an even easier replacement procedure.
Lol, it's not as easy when you have to remove the spare using the "brute force" method due to rust and corrosion killing the winch that holds it up.

Just looking up at the FPDM doesn't really show the problem, the corrosion is on the back side where the aluminum touches the steel cross beam (at least that's where mine was - the front looked ok).

... picture of my FPDM when I changed it preemptive. With all the other problems I've had with this truck I don't know how it was never an issue.
Attached Images   

Last edited by nddragon01; 01-11-2017 at 01:12 PM.