Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help settling on a programmer? help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help settling on a programmer? help?

i got some extra money and i want to do sum things to my truck the list is> in order
1.Power programmer
2.Dual Ehaust
3.CAI
thats on my to do list as of right now but i had a programmer lined up but it was sold out so now im looking into new ones but im totally lost i found on that was a (PCD Engine ECU Chip) now i thought programmer and chips where just that gameboy looking thing thats hooks up, and set the setting then unplugs but this little deal stays in the truck????? if you have any suggestens on any of my list im just looking to up my horses and save some gas? any informantion would help thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is in order from what I can tell what everyone thinks is the best.
($500.00 Price Range)
-SCT Xcal
- SCT Livewire
($400.00)
Edge
Hypertech
SuperChips
Gryphon
Diablo

I wouldn't do the programmer first though, you have your things in order just completely backwards. Go with the CAI, then exhaust, then tuner. The tuner will have to be re calibrated if you get it first once you get the other two!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boilerup15
I wouldn't do the programmer first though, you have your things in order just completely backwards. Go with the CAI, then exhaust, then tuner. The tuner will have to be re calibrated if you get it first once you get the other two!
What he said.

You can get the SCT tuner (Xcal or Livewire) with custom tuning from either Troyer Performance or VMP, those are the 2 most recommended tuners for our trucks.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Default im confused

well i bought my cai yesterday i've been doing more research on programmer then cai's so i just went out and bought a brand name one the (K&N 77 series) i've been wanting some more muscle lately but it comes in today and i work nights so i won't be able to get to it until tommorow! man im freakin excited. well my next battle is to either get the dual ehaust done by a shop or order the pipes and muffler and make it a project? also can any name a good kit that won't wake up the neighborhood but has a distinct low growl to it without losing any muscles? thanks fellas
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM

i have the si/do magnaflo not loud at idle (park under kids room also work swing shift so no loud noises haha) but it is well heard when you get on it
Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by unstabledevildogg
well i bought my cai yesterday i've been doing more research on programmer then cai's so i just went out and bought a brand name one the (K&N 77 series) i've been wanting some more muscle lately but it comes in today and i work nights so i won't be able to get to it until tommorow! man im freakin excited. well my next battle is to either get the dual ehaust done by a shop or order the pipes and muffler and make it a project? also can any name a good kit that won't wake up the neighborhood but has a distinct low growl to it without losing any muscles? thanks fellas
it will be alot cheaper and easier if u take it to a shop and get the exhaust done and alot quicker cuz u shouldnt have to wait for parts to get shipped to ya
Old 02-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unstabledevildogg
i got some extra money and i want to do sum things to my truck the list is> in order
1.Power programmer
2.Dual Ehaust
3.CAI
thats on my to do list as of right now but i had a programmer lined up but it was sold out so now im looking into new ones but im totally lost i found on that was a (PCD Engine ECU Chip) now i thought programmer and chips where just that gameboy looking thing thats hooks up, and set the setting then unplugs but this little deal stays in the truck????? if you have any suggestens on any of my list im just looking to up my horses and save some gas? any informantion would help thanks!
Well...the SCT come 1st for sure........but the Gryphon will be on the list LLLLOOOOONNNNGGG before the hyperjunk, supercrap, predator, etc.

Bill from PHP is one of the 1st writers for the Edge software before spreading off on his own. Been working on Fords since before most of us were even driving them.

Quick Reply: Need help settling on a programmer? help?