Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help removing the factory red cover from the housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:08 AM

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Need help removing the factory red cover from the housing

This in regards to my taillights

Any tricks to do so, I quickly tried using a blow dryer to heat the seams, using a spade I cracked a little section (not noticeable ) and decided to stop.

My xkglow lights arrived and I want to try and install them.

Any other options I'm open to hear about them
Old 10-26-2016, 12:34 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

They are sonic welded, meaning melted together. You have to use a dremel and cut them open. Near impossible to do without getting into the red lens.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:37 AM

Is there an aftermarket taillight I could buy where i could...

The idea of cutting did cross my mind

Not many options for flareside taillights
Old 10-26-2016, 03:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're talking about splitting the lights, chuck em in the oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes then use a flat head and slowly pry the lens and housing apart using twisting motions. It'll make a bad sound but will slowly come apart, just be gentle and the lens won't crack.

If you're talking about getting the red off the lens, you can't as the red is the lens.

Edit: Didn't know you were talking about Flareside tail lights until after. Not sure how those are together.

Last edited by PyramidsRs; 10-26-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:27 PM

That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, I read about the oven option, wasn't sure if they were being sarcastic.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The oven is how I pulled a stock set of tail lights apart to paint them like OEM Harley lights.
It works well as long as you don't have it too hot or leave them inside for a while. Also gotta go slow.
Go on youtube and look up DIY Harley Davidson F150 tail lights and a guy has a 2 part video on how to pull them apart and reseal. That's for fleetside though
Old 10-26-2016, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by PyramidsRs
The oven is how I pulled a stock set of tail lights apart to paint them like OEM Harley lights.
It works well as long as you don't have it too hot or leave them inside for a while. Also gotta go slow.
Go on youtube and look up DIY Harley Davidson F150 tail lights and a guy has a 2 part video on how to pull them apart and reseal. That's for fleetside though
I'm sure it's the same for the flareside, but thank you, I'll try this tomorrow after work.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Quick question, do your flareside tail lights leak like crazy? My genuine ford one leaks, I've tried sealing it multiple times. My aftermarket look alike I sealed when new and is holding. Headlights are opposite
Old 10-27-2016, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by BryanKephart
Quick question, do your flareside tail lights leak like crazy? My genuine ford one leaks, I've tried sealing it multiple times. My aftermarket look alike I sealed when new and is holding. Headlights are opposite
Never had an issue with the taillights leaking... well except when one of my fold up tables put a hole in it.

The headlights didn't either until I opened them up, actually only one side started to fog up but I believe I fixed that.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:02 AM

So on the original taillight, the oven method worked quite well, the replacement taillight on the other hand did not survive. The adhesive was different, that taillight was ordered online for cheap, I've gone and ordered another taillight from a Ford dealership.

My current issue now is getting the xkglow lights to shine in a red strip, under testing the white light reflected all over the chrome housing. And one of the xkglow lights has a slight defect so I'll need to get it replace which will delay my custom taillight build.

Currently I have no red lenses on my chrome housing, but lucky me I have red LED lights. It's just now exposed to the weather elements.