Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Help, Please Leave Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Need Help, Please Leave Advice

i was rethinking some ideas and money situation but i wanted to know ur alls opinion, im looking for an 04 F150 scab or screw and def FX4 package. is the only interior that comes with the FX4. also what kind of miles can i expect to find on this truck for this price. im going to be getting one from an auction with my uncle/mechanic and he gets all his vehicles from their so having him their with his lot liscense helps me get the best choice truck and hopefully one that doesnt have alot of unknown probs that the sellers dont disclose. but basically how many miles can i expect for 8 grand 9 grand and 10. and also would ual recommend the screw or scab.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first are you single, married any children what do you intend to do with the truck and how long do you think you will keep it?

If you are single and just using the truck for fun then you will be good with the supcab. the smaller back seat and little doors will give you some extra room.

Now if you have kids or will be using it to take a lot of people around, going on vacations and such you will be better off with the super crew.
you will get a bigger back seat and more storage/ leg room. The 4 doors makes it nice with kids and co-workers getting in and out of the truck.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default screw

/\ x1
l
Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FX 4 are very nice trucks but do not count out a XLT, they are almost as nice and can be had for less.

If you are not going to do a lot of heavy hulling and towing I would go with the 4.6 engine they seam to have less issues.

any time you are dealing with an auction (or private party sale) buyer be ware.

The chances of the truck not being in warranty is extremely high, but you have a mechanic in the family so this helps a lot and another plus you can modify your "new to you" truck any way you want with out worries about voiding the warranty.

do not be fooled by how clean a truck looks, an hour with engine clean and pressure washer can make the engine look almost new. then a good detail person can make a truck look almost new in short order.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2006 SCREW XLT and I absolutely love it. That said, if I had to do it all over again I'd think really, really hard about the FX4. I'd highly recommend either of these models. The FX4 has the best looking interior IMO. Really boils down to your intentions with the truck on whether you go with the SCAB or SCREW. If you need the full back seat then get the SCREW, if not then you may be able to save yourself some cash and get the SCAB.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the XLT and its fine for me. the only thing that i wish i had was the FX4 gauge cluster and the leather interior of the FX4 other then its about the same.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:13 PM
'08 4x4 Crew

One nice feature that the Fx4 has is the skid pans you will have to add them later on a xlt
Old 02-20-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh. It's all about what options the truck has.

You can order an FX4 that is nothing but an XLT with skid plates. Don't let the FX4 hold you down as said above. I have an XLT, got skid plates for $50 from the salvage yard, and I wouldn't trade it for any FX4 out there......... Ok so I would but only if it had 20 K, or more, LESS miles.....
Old 02-20-2009, 02:39 AM

I bought mine from an auction as well and just like rickyp said, the thing looks Brand New. I have an 04 xlt supercab 5.4. It's an awesome truck and I have plenty of room for others. My friends Neighbor's business is buying cars from auctions and selling them. I told him what I wanted and he did a fine job getting it. I wish I could have driven it first though. For the most part, no problems. just kind of a pause and then a clunk in the back as soon as I lightly step on the gas from a stop. The whole auction thing is a bit nerve racking, but for the most part, it turned out fine.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 AM

I have an FX4 SCAB and love it. The only option that I wish I got was heated seats, its been a cold winter. As far as the SCAB vs SCRW your needs(family, work, play) will determine that for you. You can fit a car seat in the SCAB, but it needs to sit in the middle of the back seat.

Quick Reply: Need Help, Please Leave Advice