Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Need Help! P0340, P0012, rough idle, clanking noise.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:24 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Need Help! P0340, P0012, rough idle, clanking noise.

So I am in need of some help fellow ford owners!
This post may get lengthy, so bear with me. I purchased this truck with 89k miles last June from the original owner. Took it for a test drive and had no issues with noise. Upon purchasing it and driving the hour+ home i heard my engine ticking, and then googled the issue and read up on cam phasers and timing issues. So i ordered the whole works off rockauto. Timing chains, guides, tensioners, cam phasers, VCT solenoids, and also the dreaded spark plug change supplies, radiator hoses, water pump and thermostat, belts and pulleys, just other parts that I decided to change while i was in there.

Fast forward to this month. About two weeks ago i finished up putting in the Performance Accessories 3" body lift, and drove it only a handful of times. A week ago, on 5/2 i changed my oil after work, pulled it out of garage and parked it for the night. At the time i was borrowing my parents vehicle and i took that to work the next day to meet them so they could pick up their Jeep and I got a ride home from a co-worker. After we arrived home, we had to go check on/help a buddy whose front diff locked up on his truck, followed him back to my place, stopped at a stop sign and noticed this rather loud clanking noise from my engine. I made it the last mile home, parked it and it was still making that noise. Tried to start it again and it wouldn't start, just cranks over. I just replaced the FPDM last december so i figured it had to be fuel pump since it would atleast pop every once in a while, took bed off, new fuel pump in, still wouldn't start. Went with my guy instinct and bought a new FPDM and that was the culprit. Got it running again, and everything seemed fine.

Took it to work and noticed it had a rough idle yet when i pulled up to a stop light, by the time i made it into my works parking lot, this noise started happening again, only code was P0340, for camshaft position sensor, bank 1. Figured it was bad, had never been replaced, purchased new one, cleared code with my reader and then let it warm up and idle, still knocks and rough idle. Code of P0012 this time. Was lost at this point, talked to my local mechanic, he said it's possible I got a bad filter and it collapsed, causing the engine to be starving for oil. Drained two day old oil, removed filter, install new filter and new oil, all motorcraft products, recommended 5w-20 synthetic blend. Took it for drive, idled for 15 minutes, started doing it again. Purchased new VCT solenoid for bank A (given code P0012) and swapped that out, took for same test drive, idled for 10-15 minutes and then started knocking/rough idling again.

Any ideas what it could be? Bad oil pump? Oil changes are done religously by me, and previous owner had service receipts for taking it in to be changed at his mechanic. This is my first FORD product ive ever purchased and im beginning to regret not doing my research on this Triton 5.4 3V prior to buying it. Just want to get it running so i can sell/trade in for something without so many issues and such horrible engineering.

Link to youtube video showing my rough idle/knocking noise.
jjmeyer_DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
Bleeding Ford Blue

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Did you use Dorman phasers or Motorcraft? Most likely they were Dorman, if so, theres your problem. The failure rate on them is pretty high......

2007 FX2 Supercrew Sport
Summers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
aaronallenr

Same thing happened to my truck. Rebuilt the whole bottom end of the motor. Put the recommended oil back it drove it for 15 minutes and it started making the clanking noise again. Changed the oil and put 15w 40 in it and the noise quit. Motor is still weak tho. I would recommend a new motor

Last edited by aaronallenr; 05-10-2015 at 11:59 PM.
aaronallenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #4

awesom vidio, but the explanation is too complicated frendsClick the image to open in full size.
crown01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 AM   #5

Yes I did use Dorman parts, wishing I would of spent the extra on motorcraft parts now. Learned my lesson with the FPDM that just went out, which was a Dorman. Think it's the phaser? When I first got the truck they weren't nearly that loud. Is this how most phasers sound?
Old 05-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
aaronallenr

Does it say you have low oil pressure when it makes the sound?
aaronallenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #7

Oil pressure gauge shows normal, but from what ive read, so long as it senses at least 5 PSI of oil the gauge will show normal operation. Its basically a dummy light. Thinking of installing an actual mechanical guage but dont want to stick anymore money into this thing than i have to at this point.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:41 PM

Tags
5.4, cam phaser, knock, rough idle, triton