Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help with my 2004 f150!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my 2004 f150!

Hey, I have a 2004 f150 with the 5.4l 4x4 and 250,000 kms on it , I noticed it doesn't have power anymore and engine light came on, I read the codes the first time was my o2 sensor and p2006 ( intake manifold runner Ctrl stuck closed bank 1A)... I replaced my o2 sensors and that code went away, then I noticed I had a whining noise (like a belt tensioner ) under my bell housing but it went away so I removed my intake manifold and replaced my intake runner actuator thinking that would be the problem cause the linkages and butterflies where all good! Installed manifold and drive around , the noise started admidiatly when I started truck, took for drive and engine light came on ones again .... The codes were p2006 the same one and then p0174 (system too lean bank 2) and p0171 (system too lean bank1) I need help!! Was wondering if the whining noise by bellhousing is a vacuum leak? Or do I have a intake leak? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Mark

Received 2,413 Likes on 2,114 Posts

The DTC’s suggest vacuum leak which you did not have prior to the manifold removal and installation.. I would start looking at all the connections to and from the manifold. The whining noise may not be related and could be an idler pulley to a pump bearing.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
The DTC’s suggest vacuum leak which you did not have prior to the manifold removal and installation.. I would start looking at all the connections to and from the manifold. The whining noise may not be related and could be an idler pulley to a pump bearing.

Thanks! I'll look into the leaks and I changed all my pulleys its for sure coming from bell housing
Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default You can find vacuum leak with homemade smoke machine .

I found my wife's explorer leak with a you tube suggestion .
I used a new steel paint can with lid, mounted a schrader air valve in lid ,got 6 feet of tygon tubing to go to brake booster hose fitting to a brass fitting thru lid of paint can . Inside of paint can fitting another piece of tygon tubing reduce to fit a cheap cigarillo in tygon with duck tape . Light cigar close lid quickly put 2 pounds of air going into can forcing smoke into manifold . Engine not running .
It will burn out quickly ,it took 3 try"s to get smoke to come out under battery ,turns out to be bad gas tank purge solenoid plastic manifold ,I think the alcohol in the gas ate the plastic . Several mechanics hunted this for a year then sent me to ford and their smoke machine .
You can see the smoke enter the manifold thru the clear tygon tubing . . Some guys use cotton cloth in can .
Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Mark

Very nice troubleshooting technique...
Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
I found my wife's explorer leak with a you tube suggestion .
I used a new steel paint can with lid, mounted a schrader air valve in lid ,got 6 feet of tygon tubing to go to brake booster hose fitting to a brass fitting thru lid of paint can . Inside of paint can fitting another piece of tygon tubing reduce to fit a cheap cigarillo in tygon with duck tape . Light cigar close lid quickly put 2 pounds of air going into can forcing smoke into manifold . Engine not running .
It will burn out quickly ,it took 3 try"s to get smoke to come out under battery ,turns out to be bad gas tank purge solenoid plastic manifold ,I think the alcohol in the gas ate the plastic . Several mechanics hunted this for a year then sent me to ford and their smoke machine .
You can see the smoke enter the manifold thru the clear tygon tubing . . Some guys use cotton cloth in can .

Thanks I will have to try that!! I was driving it to work today and the "check fuel cap" came on , I don't kno if they are all related or what?
Old 06-07-2016, 06:57 AM
Mark

very well could be..
Old 06-07-2016, 07:48 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jporrok
Thanks I will have to try that!! I was driving it to work today and the "check fuel cap" came on , I don't kno if they are all related or what?
Hopefully you stop refueling when the gas pump shuts off the first time. Too many folks continue to "top off" when refueling. Not smart, as it allows raw fuel to splash up the filler neck, and into the charcoal canister used to capture gas tank fumes and route them to the engine for burning off. Might be related to redfishtd's post about the gas tank purge solenoid valve issue.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jporrok
Hey, I have a 2004 f150 with the 5.4l 4x4 and 250,000 kms on it , I noticed it doesn't have power anymore and engine light came on, I read the codes the first time was my o2 sensor and p2006 ( intake manifold runner Ctrl stuck closed bank 1A)... I replaced my o2 sensors and that code went away, then I noticed I had a whining noise (like a belt tensioner ) under my bell housing but it went away so I removed my intake manifold and replaced my intake runner actuator thinking that would be the problem cause the linkages and butterflies where all good! Installed manifold and drive around , the noise started admidiatly when I started truck, took for drive and engine light came on ones again .... The codes were p2006 the same one and then p0174 (system too lean bank 2) and p0171 (system too lean bank1) I need help!! Was wondering if the whining noise by bellhousing is a vacuum leak? Or do I have a intake leak? Thanks!

Thanks for all the help I found the problem it was a leaking vacuum line!

Quick Reply: Need help with my 2004 f150!