Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Help- Front Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help- Front Brake Calipers

Yesterday, I had the left front brake caliper lock up. I was driving in city traffic when the truck began to shudder badly, which it did one other time on the highway during the Thanksgiving drive home. But yesterday, smoke was bellowing out. I talked with my Ford mechanic who told me the piston in F150 calipers are a fiber composite and have a tendency to lock up. The real pisser is about two months ago I had put new EBC rotors and Greenstuff pads (now destroyed). In talking to Brendon at EBC he said there are rebuilt calipers with metal pistons available. I did a search, with no luck. Does anyone have a source where I can order this type of caliper?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try ebay
The following users liked this post:
Laughing Crow (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Pretty much every standard performance hydraulic disc brake caliper has composite pistons. I'd get a standard replacement.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the phenolic pistons IMO... They have better advantages over steel. Whatever you decide, I'd also suggest changing the rubber hose as well.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:32 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

and maybe following the recommended maintenance requirement for the brake system...
Old 12-04-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Whatever you decide, I'd also suggest changing the rubber hose as well.
Excellent advice. The hose could be root cause...
Old 12-05-2015, 01:03 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

My Dad's 2001 turned out to be the hose. I drove it home one day and smoke was coming off of one of the front brakes. The rubber on the inside of hose breaks down and acts like a check valve.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:32 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Laughing Crow
Yesterday, I had the left front brake caliper lock up. I was driving in city traffic when the truck began to shudder badly, which it did one other time on the highway during the Thanksgiving drive home. But yesterday, smoke was bellowing out. I talked with my Ford mechanic who told me the piston in F150 calipers are a fiber composite and have a tendency to lock up. The real pisser is about two months ago I had put new EBC rotors and Greenstuff pads (now destroyed). In talking to Brendon at EBC he said there are rebuilt calipers with metal pistons available. I did a search, with no luck. Does anyone have a source where I can order this type of caliper?
Had similar problems I have 155k on 2005 supercrew . Drove in florida 99 % time . No salt driving . Both fronts locked up on me at different times and I worked on them many times . Until someone told me that as the composite pistion goes out with wear it swells with moisture and sticks after replacing pads . The only fix was rebuilt calipers. I could not find steel piston replacements either .
Old 12-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Laughing Crow
The last time my pistons broke, I replaced the whole caliper with a Raybestos FRC I bought on Amazon. It came with the mounting bracket. Never had a problem since.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by STSCDave
My Dad's 2001 turned out to be the hose. I drove it home one day and smoke was coming off of one of the front brakes. The rubber on the inside of hose breaks down and acts like a check valve.
Have seen that many times, normally it's not the material breaking down so much as it is some goober changing pads/rotors and lets the caliper hang by the hose. Worst thing to do is let the caliper hang without support.

Quick Reply: Need Help- Front Brake Calipers