Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help fellas. Not getting fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:18 PM
I bleed blue.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help fellas. Not getting fuel

A couple days ago my truck started sputtering and died. It would start up and run for a sec then die again and my edge told me the fuel pressure kept dropping and then coming back. I replaced the fuel pump and the filter today after wresting the tank forever, and it started for a sec then did the same. Now I have NO pressure at all. I have checked all the plugs and hoses and everything is in order, as well as the fuses and fuel shut off switch, where do I go next???? I dunno what to do other than tow it to the shop. Really pisses me off becuase I have had zero problems with this truck.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that you have the 5.4L V8. I had read recently on another forum some info that may help. I have cut and paste it.

I'm not sure about the rules of posting a link to another forum but here is what I found. From www.ppcgarage.com It is also a free site. There are also pictures of the unit itself.

"It used to be that most vehicles had a return style fuel system. In the past, vehicles had a feed line to the fuel rail, a pressure regulator at the rail to control fuel pressure, and a return line to the tank. Basically the fuel pump would constantly pump as much fuel as it could and the regulator at the rail would bleed off the excess fuel and return it to the tank. One of the downsides to the return style systems was that the more the fuel was pumped through the lines, the more heat it built, and the more fuel evaporated into the air increasing vehicle emissions output.

In recent years, manufacturers have began to use returnless fuel systems meaning there is only one fuel line to the engine. The goal of this style system is to provide the exact amount of fuel needed for the engine to perform in the conditions it is operating in. On a Ford, there is a fuel rail pressure sensor that tells the ecu what the fuel pressure is at the rail. The ecu then sends a signal to the fuel pump driver module or fpdm which then modulates voltage to the fuel pump. (Obviously this is the short version of how it works, there is a bit more to it.)

On the Mustangs, the fpdm is mounted in the trunk out of the weather. On the F150 trucks it is mounted above the spare tire. Over time general salt and grime can build up around the module.

We saw a unique failure this week of a fpdm on an 04 F150. The truck gave no warning of the failure, it just went out and the truck shut off. Basically road salt eroded the case and made its way inside corrupting the board. "

The guy that posted this is has a really awesome F-150.

Last edited by Rakkvet; 03-18-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:58 PM

I agree it sounds like the fuel pump driver module mounted to the frame near the spare tire, i had mine go bad a few weeks ago. and the truck would not start and just quit driving down the road.

the part was $150 canadian here from ford, it can easily be changed in 5-10 mins. i put washers on the bolts to space the new part away from the frame and hopefully i lasts longer.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:31 PM
I bleed blue.

Originally Posted by bikerboy
I agree it sounds like the fuel pump driver module mounted to the frame near the spare tire, i had mine go bad a few weeks ago. and the truck would not start and just quit driving down the road.

the part was $150 canadian here from ford, it can easily be changed in 5-10 mins. i put washers on the bolts to space the new part away from the frame and hopefully i lasts longer.

haha I just called ford and they said thats more than likely what it is. Its on national backorder here so I got it on ebay for 190 bucks..........damnit. Thanks fellas!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:02 PM

seems odd my ford dealer had one in stock, and down there they are on national backorder?

they do go bad alot my dealer was saying.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:06 AM
I bleed blue.

Originally Posted by bikerboy
seems odd my ford dealer had one in stock, and down there they are on national backorder?

they do go bad alot my dealer was saying.
Not sure why, the ford dealer just said they were. After taking mine off and being able to see through it from corrosion, im doin something different when i mount the new one. Horrible design and placement on fords part.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by DHFF
Not sure why, the ford dealer just said they were. After taking mine off and being able to see through it from corrosion, im doin something different when i mount the new one. Horrible design and placement on fords part.
Your post got me exploring....I posted a result here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/need-fu...-module-48279/

You may be able to get your hands on an Expedition module (read my findings in the link). The Ohio Ford dealership parts department had 4 as of this writing. $155.00 shipped (3 day). Your shipping may be higher, depending on distance from Ohio.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:20 AM
I bleed blue.

Nice thanks bucko!!!! If i hadnt ordered it i would do that for sure.

Quick Reply: Need help fellas. Not getting fuel