Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need HELP. Doing Cam Phasers, Chains, Tensioners, Oil Pump, Starter, COPS, etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Need HELP. Doing Cam Phasers, Chains, Tensioners, Oil Pump, Starter, COPS, etc

Ok, I just ordered these parts to get me started,

Heres a Simple List of what i have ordered, Will link them below as i elaborate.
-Driver Side Valve cover w/PCV
-PCV Heated Element
-Melling 10340 High Pressure Oil Pump
-Ford 5.4L 3V Camshaft Drive Phaser Repair Kit
-TYC 1-06646 Ford F-Series Replacement Starter
-Motorking Coil Packs

For starters since i got the truck every now and then the starter will grind and act stupid, not all the time tho but something is definately wrong with it. So its time to replace it as well as the cam phasers, chains, etc etc. Might as well do it all while i'm in the mood.

I ordered a new Driver side valve cover with PCV and a Heated PCV element to help try and solve my oil burning issue. No smoke on startup and none in the exhaust so it must be burning it. 2-3 Quarts in 1300 miles isnt normal. Hoping when i drop the pan i get some good news.

Driver Side Valve cover w/PCV Here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251468403956?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
And the Heated Element Here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281470689962?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Then i ordered a Melling 10340 High pressure Oil pump with Iron back flex plate that can handle 5500 RPM before flexing.
Amazon.com: Melling 10340 Oil Pump for Ford 4.6L/5.4L Engines: Automotive Amazon.com: Melling 10340 Oil Pump for Ford 4.6L/5.4L Engines: Automotive

Also of course i am doing the Official FoMoCo Phaser, Timing chain, Tensioner kit
Amazon.com: Ford 5.4L 3V Camshaft Drive Phaser Repair Kit - Phaser Sprockets, Tensioners, Guides, Chains Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Ford 5.4L 3V Camshaft Drive Phaser Repair Kit - Phaser Sprockets, Tensioners, Guides, Chains Kit: Automotive

And ordered a spare gasket just in case
Amazon.com: Felpro TCS 46117 Timing Cover Gasket Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Felpro TCS 46117 Timing Cover Gasket Set: Automotive

Got my starter from here, Seems to have good reviews so why not
Amazon.com: TYC 1-06646 Ford F-Series Replacement Starter: Automotive Amazon.com: TYC 1-06646 Ford F-Series Replacement Starter: Automotive

I know i will catch hell for this, But got some Motorking COPS because i think mine have never been changed that i can tell lol,
And a lifetime warranty sounds good so ill give em a go for a while until i can afford better. Already got alot to pay for!
Amazon.com: #IC60 04-07 FORD Ignition Coil 8PCS DG511 Expedition Explorer Mustang Pick Up F150 F250 F350 F450 F550 Super Duty 04 05 06 07: Automotive Amazon.com: #IC60 04-07 FORD Ignition Coil 8PCS DG511 Expedition Explorer Mustang Pick Up F150 F250 F350 F450 F550 Super Duty 04 05 06 07: Automotive

Is there anything else you guys would do to try and tune her up? Its already got new plugs in maybe 15,000 ago. Just some new fire would be nice for them to have im sure. I hope she purrs like a kitten after this if not i will probably cry and stick a for sale sign on her. But she doesn't smoke at all so i shouldn't need valve seals, just trying to fix it all in one swing. I did the VCT solenoids around the same time. So don't need those neither.

Do you guys think i should go ahead and replace the lifters and lash adjusters as well if nothing is broken?
Here is my truck running a few weeks ago, Ignore the whine it hasn't done it since the video..

Cold startup, as you see no smoke

I will get more shortly, Need to redo and let truck be completely warm

Last edited by MHOWELL34; 10-21-2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: video
Old 10-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

I'd almost bet that your tensioner seals (will be replaced when you put in the new tensioners) are completely gone, which could be what's causing you to burn oil.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by tareed94
I'd almost bet that your tensioner seals (will be replaced when you put in the new tensioners) are completely gone, which could be what's causing you to burn oil.
I'm hoping it's something simple like that. Not really simple but not the worst it could be lol. I have faith in her. Ill probably just wait on the lash adjusters and arms unless some clearly have a issue. But im hoping its just timing chain tapping the cover and cam phasers shot
Old 10-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by MHOWELL34
I'm hoping it's something simple like that. Not really simple but not the worst it could be lol. I have faith in her. Ill probably just wait on the lash adjusters and arms unless some clearly have a issue. But im hoping its just timing chain tapping the cover and cam phasers shot
Lol. It's simple since it's a part you're planning on replacing anyway. Hopefully it's not the cams, lash adjusters, or lifters. You'll be able to do a decent visual inspection when you pull the valve cover to do the phasers though. Look for scoring on the cams, I've seen a fair amount of people reporting scoring on their cams and needing to replace them.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by tareed94
Lol. It's simple since it's a part you're planning on replacing anyway. Hopefully it's not the cams, lash adjusters, or lifters. You'll be able to do a decent visual inspection when you pull the valve cover to do the phasers though. Look for scoring on the cams, I've seen a fair amount of people reporting scoring on their cams and needing to replace them.
Yea i hope not, the cams are like a grand. lol, But we will just hope it doesn't look bad in there. If it does, i don't know what you are talking about, run her till she blows. Then throw the new parts on a heart transplant

But on a real note, The oil always stays clean, its never dirty.. Well that one time i had castrol in it proved me wrong lol, Got that garbage oil out of my engine

But nothing ticks when cold, Only when warms up some the phasers start ticking. So wouldnt think it would be the lash adjusters or rollers. I know for a fact my chain has slack in it. I just keep an eye on my pressure guage if it ever fluctuates or drops real low im pulling over. I do think i have a weak oil pump, its not steady it kind of bounces the needle a little, which is why i went ahead and got a better one.

Last edited by MHOWELL34; 10-21-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like you have a plan for now, and enough to keep you busy.
Just so you know, don't worry too much about the oil pressure gauge. It's a dummy light with a needle. If your PCM is reading 7 psi or more, the needle will be in the middle. If the needle starts to fluctuate, then the guage is broken. The oil pressure guage really is just for show.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

please do yourself a favor and buy a motorcraft starter. I don't know why I'm having so many problems but mine started making that grinding sound every now and then, so replaced with o'reillys life time warranty starter that went out in 2 weeks. Then replaced that one with an autozone lifetime warantee duralast starter that is starting to do the same thing. You'll save yourself the time and headache by just buying the motorcraft from the start
Old 10-21-2014, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
Sounds like you have a plan for now, and enough to keep you busy.
Just so you know, don't worry too much about the oil pressure gauge. It's a dummy light with a needle. If your PCM is reading 7 psi or more, the needle will be in the middle. If the needle starts to fluctuate, then the guage is broken. The oil pressure guage really is just for show.
I knew that already about the guage, thats why i have a real guage lol Not that stupid dummy guage. Watch the valvetrain noise video above near the end.

Need HELP. Doing Cam Phasers, Chains, Tensioners, Oil Pump, Starter, COPS, etc-eqiuexk.jpg
Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by jb2012
please do yourself a favor and buy a motorcraft starter. I don't know why I'm having so many problems but mine started making that grinding sound every now and then, so replaced with o'reillys life time warranty starter that went out in 2 weeks. Then replaced that one with an autozone lifetime warantee duralast starter that is starting to do the same thing. You'll save yourself the time and headache by just buying the motorcraft from the start
I have no idea whats even on the truck as it is. I just go the one everyone was saying yeah its a good one on amazon. Because well i got Amazon credit card so i went ahead and just added it on to my bill.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MHOWELL34

I knew that already about the guage, thats why i have a real guage lol Not that stupid dummy guage. Watch the valvetrain noise video above near the end.
Nice

Quick Reply: Need HELP. Doing Cam Phasers, Chains, Tensioners, Oil Pump, Starter, COPS, etc