Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help deciding on 05 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help deciding on 05 FX4

Hello, this is only my 2nd post but I will get right to it. I am looking at a one owner 05 FX4 with 75,000 miles. Owner is a friend of my wife and she happens to have been a Ford salesman for many years. We just found out that her truck is going up for sale at the end of the month and it looks like we get first dibbs.

I can only assume the truck was well maintained and was in for all the recalls, bulletins, regular services etc. I like the low miles as well. I guess it is really loaded with leather package and all.

I am a little concerned about the spark plug issues though. I have not dicusssed this with her though but plan to when the truck officially goes up for sale. Being a Ford salesman she should have some insight in this but I was wanting to know if there is anything in the VIN, particular build date or whatever that may lead me to determine if this particular model is in some "higher risk" category.

Furthermore, is it possible that this truck could have already had some spark plug upgrade, exchange, or fix that would have fixed any potential problem.

Thanks ahead for any help.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill chime in on this I guess… I bought an 07 5.4 f150 about 7 months ago. Knowing what I know now, about all the horse **** that comes along with this engine, and stupid spark plug designs, and blower door actuators, the leaky exhaust manifolds, having to hold my gas pump handle upside down to fill at full speed.. and only use motor craft this and that etc… I wish I would have bought something else. I have read and read about this truck, and its the same bull**** in every toilet. GL though!
Old 01-19-2016, 12:38 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

^^^I have 140K trouble free miles on my 07 FX2 5.4.....you need to stop reading all the negative stories out there. Changed my plugs by myself at 113k with none breaking. No problems what-so-ever that you mentioned. Most only report when they have an issue, not when they are pleased. I think these are great trucks.

My question to TheOldRaker is why dont you sell it if you hate it so much??????
Old 01-19-2016, 07:05 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Being as how it's an 05 5.4, it no doubt has the spark plugs that can potentially break. However, it being owned by a Ford salesperson, it most likely was well maintained, and as stated, may have already had the spark plug maintenance performed. Asking is free, so I'd at least do that, and ask to view the Ford service records; I'm betting all service was indeed done by the salespersons Ford dealership.
And at 75K, the original plugs (if they are still in the engine) are fine; most 5.4 owners suggest they be replaced at early mileage to prevent the carbon buildup on the thread tips, which is what causes them to sieze and break.
Sounds like a nicely packaged truck.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Widerider
Hello, this is only my 2nd post but I will get right to it. I am looking at a one owner 05 FX4 with 75,000 miles. Owner is a friend of my wife and she happens to have been a Ford salesman for many years. We just found out that her truck is going up for sale at the end of the month and it looks like we get first dibbs.

I can only assume the truck was well maintained and was in for all the recalls, bulletins, regular services etc. I like the low miles as well. I guess it is really loaded with leather package and all.

I am a little concerned about the spark plug issues though. I have not dicusssed this with her though but plan to when the truck officially goes up for sale. Being a Ford salesman she should have some insight in this but I was wanting to know if there is anything in the VIN, particular build date or whatever that may lead me to determine if this particular model is in some "higher risk" category.

Furthermore, is it possible that this truck could have already had some spark plug upgrade, exchange, or fix that would have fixed any potential problem.

Thanks ahead for any help.
With that mileage and one owner, Dude, jump all over it if the price is right. Who cares about the spark plug and other issues. All vehichles have potential problems and not to be a smart a** but why are you asking us if the spark plugs could have been changed etc. Ask the seller
Old 01-19-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

By the way if she still works for Ford than have her change the plugs if it bothers you that much
Old 01-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I'll admit, my last post was because of my personal frustrations with this engine/powertrain/truck in general. A more constructive way to reply here would be this.

1. Get the truck inspected by an unbiased mechanic. Don't have the seller's mechanic that they always use inspect anything. I'm not sure I'd trust a dealer mechanic either from posts I have read about dealerships giving people the run around regarding problems.(No personal experience with ford dealerships)
2. Read up as much as possible in this forum and look for any of these reoccurring issues. I think there is a post on here that contains that info.
3. Don't let anyone rush you into buying the truck. People that rush you don't have your interests in mind.

Lastly, sorry about the negative post earlier, just frustrated with the truck I got compared to what I thought an awesome ford f150 was.
The following users liked this post:
HulluCorn (01-21-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOldRaker
Ok, I'll admit, my last post was because of my personal frustrations with this engine/powertrain/truck in general. A more constructive way to reply here would be this.

1. Get the truck inspected by an unbiased mechanic. Don't have the seller's mechanic that they always use inspect anything. I'm not sure I'd trust a dealer mechanic either from posts I have read about dealerships giving people the run around regarding problems.(No personal experience with ford dealerships)
2. Read up as much as possible in this forum and look for any of these reoccurring issues. I think there is a post on here that contains that info.
3. Don't let anyone rush you into buying the truck. People that rush you don't have your interests in mind.

Lastly, sorry about the negative post earlier, just frustrated with the truck I got compared to what I thought an awesome ford f150 was.
I guess you should of taken your own advice...
Old 01-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Sounds very good so far.
Don't say where you live - if in the snowbelt, take a good look at the frame and undercarraige. Salt will take a toll if regular winter cleaning is not done.
As for the 5.4 - some potential issues with cam phasers and plugs. These are not something that every owner had issues with.
If the price is right, I would certainly look closely at this truck.
It could be something you will enjoy for many years.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Here's how I look at it from my own perspective/truck and the issues known for the year/engine.

I bought the truck (2007 SC 5.4 4x4) used in 2014 with around 58,000 miles on the odometer. HID's, LED's, Saleen Grill, and Leveling kit already done. I paid $15,750 for it. Not the best deal, but decent for the age/mileage/options. Since then I've had repair bills to fix the plugs and exhaust that totaled about $2,000 (actually just this week). I also replaced the FPDM last spring, $100 and 10 minutes.

I also replaced from rotors and put pads all the way around, but that's maintenance items.

End of the day, I have less than $19,000 in the truck and it serves its purpose. If I wanted a 2012+ truck with lower miles, I'd be looking at what, $25k+ purchase price? It's not worth it.

Like mentioned above, if the price is right, jump on it. If the plugs bother you, know you can have it done for under $1,000 or have her replace before purchase.

Good luck. I love the FX4 package versus the XLT, but I couldn't find one that suited my criteria (price).

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on 05 FX4