Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help with codes..

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with codes..

I know I don't have an F150, but I'm trying to get as much help as possible and figured F150's and Explores would be close.

let me give you the whole story....

Last Sunday I installed a PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer on my 2007 EB Explorer with 89k miles, i did not disconnect the neg Bat terminal during install, and I drove it around all day with no problems and great throttle response.

Come Monday morning on my way into work I pull up to a stop light after the engine got up to full operating temperature and it started surging like it was trying to shift gears while I was stopped (the RPM's were not fluctuating at all during this). so every stop light I had to shift to neutral as it continued to get worse, and in some cases would occur when I tried to accelerate. mind you this entire time, no CEL or wrench light or anything showed up on the message center.

On my way home from work, i got on the freeway and it started acting up again, this time throwing the wrench light when I tried to accelerate to merge. I had no power to go anywhere so I pulled over and turned the car off and back on, and was able to make it home, but could not kick it into overdrive with out it starting to surge again. When I got home I took the TB spacer off thinking if I put it back to stock maybe that would help, but it didn't. At this point i disconnected the negative battery terminal thinking maybe this will reset things (not realizing that could screw thing sup even more with the TB itself)

Tuesday i took the EX to the dealership, they came back and told me I needed new TB ($500) and code P2112 which I was noting willing to accept as an answer and told them to find something else wrong. so they found a Cylinder 5 misfire P0305 and P0316 which is fine but I still knew that is not what was causing my surging problem. They did some more tests and came back saying I needed transmission work and that I should just get a re manufactured Transmission ($5500), I said you are out of your mind and took the EX and left for AAMCO.

AAMCO ran some more test all FREE of course compared to the $123 FORD charged me for telling me nothing. AAMCO came back with the P0305 and P0316 as well as U1900 and UI2023.

I'm going to fix the Cyl 5 misfire myself because that's a no brainer, but would the TB spacer really have caused all these other issues I'm having? I can't imagine it would but this is just blowing my mind that it ran fine all day on Sunday and then all of a sudden started acting up on Monday. Any thoughts on how to fix? Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Naw...the TBS did not cause it...you must of messed something up during the install...double check everything you touched...hose's, wires...did you clean the TB before you re-installed it ??
Old 01-30-2015, 09:21 AM

the only things I touched were the two crankcase vent tubes that went to the factory air intake tube and the throttle body, i did not initially clean the TB, but the FORD dealership did the other day when I was there.

I have triple checked everything and from what I can tell everything is connected the same way it was originally.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Mark

So...the dealership cleaned your TB and then told you, you needed a new one ??
Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 AM

well they told me I needed a new TB initially, then I told them the whole story (above) and they said oh well when you disconnected your neg battery terminal that cleared PCM of the TB program that is learned and because of the gunk build up it will not be able to function properly again.

That when I told them they are full of S*%& and that I wasn't buying a new TB because they said it had a little gunk in there. So then they cleaned it for me. whether or not that actually helped I'm still unsure, but I still am refusing to believe I need a new TB.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Mark

wonder if they pulled it off to clean it...
Old 01-30-2015, 02:25 PM

Does that really matter though? It was acting up before hand so that is what they did yet it is still acting up.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:21 AM
Mark

umm.. yeah it matters if you dont pull it off to clean it all the crap ends up in you intake runners and the whole bottom of the TB does not get cleaned..
Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 AM

Why are you so focused on the throttle body being cleaned? That cannot possibly be what is causing my issues.

It wasn't running right per my original post, FORD then decided to clean the TB which did nothing to help it. So what are my next options?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Just a shot but try cleaning the MAF sensor

Quick Reply: Need help with codes..