Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Help/Advice on 2005 F150 Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help/Advice on 2005 F150 Troubles

I have a 2005 F150 Lariat 5.4L, with about 42,500 miles on it, that I bought this past August. This is my first truck I have ever bought. Last night after work the check engine light came on and stayed on and the truck was idling rougher than usual. Today, when I took it for a Autozone diagnostic (not a full one) it was acting the same way and running very rough overall. Some of the symptoms included are:

1. Strong gas smell inside the cab and also out by the exhaust
2. Blue/thick white puffs of smoke from exhaust
3. Around just one of the spark plugs, there was fresh oil there but no where else
4. Possibly misfiring though it didn't sound rough, just a rough idle/shake

The diagnostic had several hits and the guy was saying everything from the Mass Air Filter, to fuel injector, to the O2 sensor. So I got out of that, he wasn't too sure. But that was only the smaller diagnostic check and not a full machine.

It was getting late it the day, so I only made it to a meineke and they told me I'd either have to have it rebuild or get a new one. Or I might have mistakenly put diesel in there. (not the case on the last)

Anyway, I'm not very savvy in this area, so I would appreciate any help or advice on this. Or if anyone has had similar issues. Also, would it be better to take it to a dealership to check it out or another shop I can find? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

sounds to me like you have a injector stuck open or something, the 05 5.4 had injector problems so they gave it a extended warrnaty for 100K miles i believe, search this forum about it, call your ford dealer and make an appointment and let them check it out, i would take care of it right away because it can wreck an engine
Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^^EXACTLY what he said^^^^^ And don't wait or expect the engine to hydro-lock which will cause the rods to bend. Frankly, I wouldn't start the engine again and have Ford come get the truck with a hook.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:43 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what they said you probably have a inj stuck open I would almost tell you not to drive it... it will hydro lock the cylinder
And yes ford will cover the injector at no charge to u
Old 11-19-2009, 11:27 PM

Awesome. That is much better news than what I heard earlier. I had no idea on that. They were talking about rebuilding the engine and all. Not something I wanted to hear 3 months into this. And I'm stationed here in VA, outside of DC, so that would have been fairly pricey I'm sure.

I'll definitely have to give the local Ford dealership a call and see what we can do to get it over there. I'd hate to make it more of an issue than it already is.

Thank you guys very much for the heads up on that, and the assistance.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

no problem man, as stated before ford should foot the bill if its an injector issue
Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow you guys are awesome.

Just saved the guy a ton of cash. Especially by letting him know not to drive it any more. That sounds like this is where the real problems would have started.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 AM

I just want to say, thanks again on this. It was exactly as you called it. I just got my truck back yesterday night, and only paid for the towing, diagnostics, and 1 spark plug that was damaged. A small price to pay when you are planning for the worse.

I got a call back from the guy letting me know that they checked it out and had already fixed it fairly early in the day and that it was covered by the warranty. I can't really tell you how psyched I was about this. I was worried about this the whole weekend and of course it sucked not having my first truck I've ever owned. The good news made my day.

I'm glad I searched around and found this forum. Thanks again on the assistance. It helped out a lot.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Hey runner I'm glad they fixed it, but working in the dealer myself I don't understand why they DID NOT pay for the tow the diag and the plug that should have been covered by the extended coverage as related damage from the injector I would also demand that they change your oil and filter from all the fuel that injector dumped your oil would be diluted with fuel that too will cause engine failure... I would first contact the ford dealer and talk with the service manager about why you were charged for the warranty repair.. if that doesn't go anywhere contact Ford customer service... 1-866-436-7332
07m08 is the program number and states right in the letter it will cover diag...

good luck
Old 11-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Don't be too happy you still have 7 faulty injectors just waiting to kill your ride! Could be worse I got 8!

Quick Reply: Need Help/Advice on 2005 F150 Troubles