Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help with 4x4!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with 4x4!

I have been noticing some noise coming from the front end, sounds like a whirling noise. I noticed some posts that suggested the IWE's or the solenoid. I put the truck up on jacks and sure enough when i spin the tires in two wheel drive the IWE shafts are spinning on both sides. Not normal right? Would this most likely be a bad soleniod or both IWE's are bad. I don't want to to do damage to the system so any advice would be helpful. I wanted to swap out the solenoid first but I was wondering if there was a way to test it first. I went to a local parts store and could not find the solenoid so I am going to have to go to a dealer tomorrow.
Please Help!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

if you dont have the new IWE valve go ahead and get it. you will need it at some point. the new one from the dealer is about 25 bucks, make sure it has the shroud. the old one sells for 45 bucks ( lol )

when the parts guy is lookin it up tell him its the one that says it comes with a bracket. theres another thread with the part number around here somewhere.

i say start with this and see how it goes.

its cheap, needs to be done anyway (should be a recall), and can easily be the problem.

Last edited by militaryrednek; 03-27-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Is there a way to disengage the system in the meantime?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

im sure there is, but i dunno not good with vacume stuff. hopefully someone will chime in with it. i would just drive up to the dealership tomm and grab one. install is a breeze. 10-15mins max
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 PM

This was posted on my thread about a grinding noise which I'm sure is related to my vacuum system for my 4x4. But I'll pass it along to you, it was posted by 60DRB

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...then-some.html

Also from what it sounds like it could be your actuators

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 PM

When you put the truck up on jacks was the truck running? If not then the shafts could very well be turning, the truck needs to be running for the vacuum to release the IWE's. If you think it is the solenoid then you can unhook the vacuum lines from the solenoid and plug or cap the line coming from the motor and this will engage the IWE's and not the 4x4 so they won't grind.

If you have time though you should run through the link above and try to diagnose it, it could be as simple as a line pulled off and leaking vacuum.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by GregC
When you put the truck up on jacks was the truck running? If not then the shafts could very well be turning, the truck needs to be running for the vacuum to release the IWE's. If you think it is the solenoid then you can unhook the vacuum lines from the solenoid and plug or cap the line coming from the motor and this will engage the IWE's and not the 4x4 so they won't grind.

If you have time though you should run through the link above and try to diagnose it, it could be as simple as a line pulled off and leaking vacuum.
Exactly what lines do I take off and which do I plug?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Pull the 2 lines made into a plug that is on the solenoid behind the battery on the firewall. I can't remember which line goes to the motor but you can trace it out, it goes back to the intake or the tee next to the brake booster depending on which model truck you have. Then just put a screw or something in that line to stop the vacuum from leaking or the motor won't run right.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by GregC
Pull the 2 lines made into a plug that is on the solenoid behind the battery on the firewall. I can't remember which line goes to the motor but you can trace it out, it goes back to the intake or the tee next to the brake booster depending on which model truck you have. Then just put a screw or something in that line to stop the vacuum from leaking or the motor won't run right.
Thanks i will give it a try, how do I tell if I have done damage to 4x4 components
Old 03-28-2011, 03:45 PM

I put the new solenoid in and still the axles are moving in 2 high while the truck is running

Quick Reply: Need help with 4x4!