Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Help

Old 09-19-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unhappy Need Help

Ok, so I have been busy non stop with this truck since Sunday. I put on my 2" level kit and replaced my passenger side caliper. Drove my truck home then to work on Tuesday and loved it. Now the completely unrelated weird part. On my way home from work (I work 2 miles from home), my truck was shaking really bad and almost dying when I was coasting or coming to a stop. Also, the truck SERIOUSLY lacked power. I finally got it to throw a CEL and got P2198 (O2 Sensor stuck rich bank 2 sensor 1) P0022 (Camshaft position actuator bank 2 timing over retarded) I figured the VCT solenoid on bank 2 was bad so I ordered both to knock them both out at the same time. I also figured the O2 sensor code was related to that as well since they were both bank 2. I replaced the VCT solenoids today and started to do the relearn procedure and noticed I was still seriously lacking power and a loud "clanking" noise coming from under the truck. I chased the noise down to the cat on the passenger side (bank 1) and it was also glowing red. The other side seemed fine in color but no noise. I'm at a complete loss. The only thing I can think of is a clogged cat but I've never seen that do this to a vehicle. Also, my truck will die during the part of the relearn where the AC is on and the trans is in drive. Anytime there's a load, there's no power at all and the clanking noise is even more noticeable. Any help on where to even start is appreciated. I really can't afford to take it anywhere and have lots of auto background, but this has me completely stumped. TIA
Old 09-19-2015, 11:35 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,563 Likes on 6,189 Posts

Why are you at a loss? You said the cat is clogged and glowing red, replace it be done. Yes a clogged cat robs power, its well known. You need to replace your 2 upstream O2 sensors as well. Since your injectors were dumping to much fuel, it melted down your cat, meaning the O2 sensor, on at least that side, wasnt doing its job.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Summers22
Why are you at a loss? You said the cat is clogged and glowing red, replace it be done. Yes a clogged cat robs power, its well known. You need to replace your 2 upstream O2 sensors as well. Since your injectors were dumping to much fuel, it melted down your cat, meaning the O2 sensor, on at least that side, wasnt doing its job.
I'm at a loss because the code in getting is bank 2 lean, p0174. But the cat that's glowing is on bank 1. It makes zero sense to me that a cat on the opposite bank is causing my issue.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:33 AM
TOTM November 2019

Ah I see. You keeping the truck for a while? If it were me and the answer is yes, then both cats would be replaced along with both of your upstream O2 sensors. The cat is clogged and causing the issue. Now you have to determine the cause and fix the cause and the result (clogged cat). It may have been dumping to much fuel for a while now and just showing the issue. As far as bank 2, that means what just happened on bank 1 is about to happen again on bank 2. I am no expert, and more will chime in for their knowledge.
The following users liked this post:
04_Lariat_SCrew (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 09:35 AM
TOTM November 2019

As far as a lean condition, that would be to much air and not enough fuel. To me if you are on original O2 sensors, that may be the easiest thing to fix as far as the cause.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:55 AM

Ah I see. You keeping the truck for a while? If it were me and the answer is yes, then both cats would be replaced along with both of your upstream O2 sensors. The cat is clogged and causing the issue. Now you have to determine the cause and fix the cause and the result (clogged cat). It may have been dumping to much fuel for a while now and just showing the issue. As far as bank 2, that means what just happened on bank 1 is about to happen again on bank 2. I am no expert, and more will chime in for their knowledge.
I'm definitely keeping the truck. I love it. I'm going to replace both upstream sensors for sure and the cats. I read a few forums talking about the pcv valve causing the lean issue. Any pcv valve I've ever dealt with would rattle and he restrictive in one direction. Given the valve is on the bank 2 side, I pulled it and noticed it doesn't rattle and it's free flowing both directions. With this one being different than the normal pcv valve since this is heated and much longer, is it still supposed to rattle and be free flowing like this?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 PM

As far as a lean condition, that would be to much air and not enough fuel. To me if you are on original O2 sensors, that may be the easiest thing to fix as far as the cause.
Just to update, found that the timing chain actually jumped time and it's either hydro locked or the chain snapped. Checking in the am....

Search this Thread