Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help

hi folks,
my F150 has the problem, the car has not enough power. means, the engine runs very, very quit and clean, but if i accelerate a little bit more, it hasnīt power. if i accelerate slowly, it is okay. the problem in this case is, if i connect my VCM w/ IDS, there was the DTC P2072 (throttle actuator control is blockage), P0012 (VCT Bank 1) and P0345 (camshaft position sensor Bank 2).
After deleting of DTCs, the car runs a little bit better i guess, but the power is continue lost and after a long test drive, there are no more DTCs.
What can it be? Maybe the throttle valves close the inlet valves? But why i dont received a DTC?
Please try to help me!
Thank you
Michael
Old 05-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kinda sounds like your cats are clogged, the more throttle you give it the harder it is for the exhaust to pass through which could slow down your entire system which may be why your getting those codes. Usually if the cats are going bad they will get extremely hot and maybe even start to glow. Its a good first step and doesn't cost anything to crawl underneath and look.

Also, clean your throttle body and MAF sensor.

Last edited by ellis4pa; 05-28-2013 at 04:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MarauderV8 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Two of your codes are timing related therefore I would focus there. Some codes have to go through a few off/on cycles therefore the codes you erased may come back.
The following users liked this post:
MarauderV8 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 PM

thank you for answer, sounds obvious. but how can i check the cats in mounted condition? I mean, hot are they every time after driving. And how i can clean the MAF, with brake cleaner? [MENTION=16060]primalurges[/MENTION], i hope not, because last year the timing chain, the cam phasers and the VCT solenoid was replaced.
An important think witch i forget, it is the truck from my bro and he didnīt check the oil. I changed it and i guess, the old oil was approx. 2 liters. and the last change is 12k miles ago
Old 05-29-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Please dont clean your MAF with brake cleaner.. There is a MAF cleaner at the part stores. While you are at it, clean your throttle body as well. You need to get the throttle body cleaner that will not hurt the teflon coating on the throttle body.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MarauderV8
thank you for answer, sounds obvious. but how can i check the cats in mounted condition? I mean, hot are they every time after driving. And how i can clean the MAF, with brake cleaner? [MENTION=16060]primalurges[/MENTION], i hope not, because last year the timing chain, the cam phasers and the VCT solenoid was replaced.
An important think witch i forget, it is the truck from my bro and he didnīt check the oil. I changed it and i guess, the old oil was approx. 2 liters. and the last change is 12k miles ago
only clean your MAF with MAF cleaner. about 8$ at any auto supply store. make sure it is clean and dry before you re-install it.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to believe its not your timing, your engine would not be quiet if it were. When the cats go bad they get so hot they can glow. A dealer can check for sure but you might be able to get a temp gun from an auto parts store, some loan tools out. You'll be able to check with that, the temp will be very high compared to the rest of the exhaust, but even if their working correctly the temp will still be a little higher.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:56 PM

oops. too late. before reading this, i clean the throttle body w/ brake cleaner and the MAF w/ contact spray !
Did everything wrong!!!! BUt, i also pulled every connector, checked them, added contact spray and checked a lot of wires. At the end of all, i used WD40 for the whole engine. Now, the truck is running nearly perfect, except to beginning of the accelerate mode, the engine will goes in the knees, (itīs a saying in Germany, USA too?) but for a very short time and then is everything fine. During riding with an constant speed, it runs perfect.
I have a feeling, that the engine runs better with every trip.
Summary, I guess, there was a problem concerning the old and to less oil, and second, maybe our **** wet weather here in Germany.
Help you all fot trying to help me!!!

Last edited by MarauderV8; 05-30-2013 at 11:00 PM.