Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need cluster / needle help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need cluster / needle help!

OK, I took the cluster out of my 05 FX4 to repair the odometer coming and going. It was an easy fix of cleaning the 5 pins and putting it all back together. BUT, I put the needles back where they were before I popped them off to get to the odometer LCD and now they aren't working. I do have the speedo working although it is off by about 3 mph slow (it was 4 to fast before). I have taken them off and re-installed them a couple of times, I have held the trip button in and most do Sweep across but the fuel gauge and Oil Pressure aren't working at all. Tach and Speed are OK. I have a EVO programmer so the oil and battery aren't a a big deal but I sure would like my fuel gauge to work. I did remove battery cable and let sit over night hoping it would reset, I think that is what fixed the speedo and battery. Any help or suggestions!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's a pain but take the needles off put them back on at the highest mark for each gauge. Then slowly turn down to the lowest point stopping exactly at the lowest point. Make sure the needle is pushed onto the little pin inside the cluster I had the same problem. Once rotated all the way to the lowest point you'll notice that moving the needle toward the high pint has less resistance than moving it down at all After the low point. Plug in to test function then re assemble and install
Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 PM

Thanks, I will try that tonight
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 PM

Everything is perfect except fuel. 1 more try tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a Good Friday!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain with the fuel gauge... I recently swapped out my FX4 cluster for a Lariat cluster... I installed a custom black gauge face as well... I used my Actron Code reader to help me get my needles installed accurately... My fuel gauge is still slightly off by a hair... I've tried 3 times to get it just right, but it's totally the hardest one for me too... going to pop it off to make a minor adjustment tomorrow, hopefully I can get it right.... ... I still have my original FX4 Cluster (129,000mi) if you're interested
Old 04-19-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Inkdot22
I feel your pain with the fuel gauge... I recently swapped out my FX4 cluster for a Lariat cluster... I installed a custom black gauge face as well... I used my Actron Code reader to help me get my needles installed accurately... My fuel gauge is still slightly off by a hair... I've tried 3 times to get it just right, but it's totally the hardest one for me too... going to pop it off to make a minor adjustment tomorrow, hopefully I can get it right.... ... I still have my original FX4 Cluster (129,000mi) if you're interested
How much you looking to get for you FX4 cluster?
Old 04-19-2014, 04:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyDubs
How much you looking to get for you FX4 cluster?
$100... shipping included.... I'll post pics tomorrow if anyone wants....
Old 04-19-2014, 08:06 AM

I too am interested and would like to see pics.
Jim

Quick Reply: Need cluster / needle help!