Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need advice on unplugging cam position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Need advice on unplugging cam position sensor

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2007 F150 Ext Cab Lariat 4x4 with the 5.4L 3v and i've been loving it so far! It needed a fair bit of work when i bought it (mostly brake work) and its almost all done.
It has something up with the cams (something i hear is a pretty common problem) and it spits out the following codes: P0340 and P0344. I believe both of those are because i have the cam sensor on one side unplugged. The only trouble is that when the sensor is plugged back in, the truck wont start. However, when the cam position sensor is unplugged, it runs like a champ.
The spark plugs were done about 40,000 KM ago (about 25,000 miles) so i dont think thats related to the issue. My local mechanic advised me to just leave it as is because it runs pretty good, but i also took it to my local ford, who thought it should be dealt with immediately. Both couldnt figure out the problem. (Ford suggested to remove the valve covers for further inspection, but i declined after they wanted $800 just to do the diagnostic) I was wondering if anyone might have any advice for me, i know cam issues are pretty common with the 5.4 3v. The truck has about 175,000 KM on it (a little more than 100,000 miles) Its also sounds like a diesel at idle, although i'm not too worried about that as the general consensus around here seems to be that its not something to worry about.

I was wondering if theres any downside to just leaving the sensor unplugged (other than it running a little rich) or if anyone might have any experience with fixing this issue.

Last edited by dillons; 04-04-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

so.. replacing the sensor is not an option...
Old 04-05-2015, 09:12 AM

The sensor, and all the circuits are good. I switched the sensors and the issue still came up on the same side. (bank 1 i think)
Old 04-05-2015, 09:55 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Lightbulb

I agree with [MENTION=13845]techrep[/MENTION]. They're not expensive ($16 - $25 ea). And I assume that he, as I, do not recommend running without it - other than to limp home.

Switching the sensors between Bank1 & Bank 2 was a good diagnostics idea. But didn't necessarily eliminate the wiring, plug or harness - or (heaven help us) the ECU. You might try cleaning the "plugs" (at both ends) with a good contact cleaner.

However (oddly enough) the "Starter" or "Battery" can result in the codes you mention. The ECU checks signals from CPS very early and even sets P0340 during cranking. See http://engine-codes.com/p0340_ford.html. If the starter is drawing too much current, thus pulling the system voltage down, or if the Battery is weak (to the point signals from the CPS is "flakey" during cranking) ---- could result in P0344. See http://engine-codes.com/p0344_ford.html

Just a couple of additional thoughts instead of throwing a couple of $25.00 sensors at it. Two sensors simultaneously or the ECU failing is a little remote.

By the way - Welcome to the forum [MENTION=206492]dillons[/MENTION]
The following 2 users liked this post by F150Torqued:
dillons (04-05-2015), MGD (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 AM

Thats a good idea, i'll definitely give the plugs a good clean. It would certainly be a big relief if its all from some junk on the contacts.
And as for the starter and battery - i tested the battery not so long ago and it was good, but while i wouldnt know how to test the starter, i'll get my regular mechanic to do that in the coming days.
I'm thinking if all of this doesnt solve it, i'll replace both sensors just for good measures, and pony up the cash for ford to peek under the valve cover.
I appreciate the thoughts [MENTION=170523]F150Torqued[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13845]techrep[/MENTION] and thank you for the welcome!
Old 11-29-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam shaft position sensor

Hey guys, new to the forum, but I’m having a problem with my 2004 Ford F-150 5.4 was Driving the other day and lost power, heard a real loud clicking then it caught power and went on. I don’t drive the truck everyday so after I parked it, it had sit for a week, get in it drive 3 miles down the road lost power again and check engine light came on along with check gauges light. Hooked it up to OBDII and says camshaft position sensor circuit bank 2 so I go buy a new sensor, replace and didn’t change a thing got battery and alternator tested, battery was still decent and alternator failed, installed new alternator and still once again no change. It actually got worse, if I unplug circuit bank 2 camshaft sensor it runs like a top, I have checked all wires, vacuum lines catalytic converter and I don’t know what else to do, I’m no professional mechanic by any means but prefer to do this my self if possible because I’m short on money. Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:03 PM

I hate to bring up an old tread but has anybody found out the problem? My 04 is doing the same thing.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:37 PM

Default Same q

Originally Posted by Mann000
I hate to bring up an old tread but has anybody found out the problem? My 04 is doing the same thing.
have u figured out problem I unplug cps and rums great plug in rums like carp ....I hear may be a tooth off since also get timing code advanced curious what to,do
Old 03-21-2019, 10:53 AM

No have not. Its still unplugged and running good. I’m going to do the timing chain and phasers just haven’t got around to it.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:42 PM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Sindle Sean
have u figured out problem I unplug cps and rums great plug in rums like carp ....I hear may be a tooth off since also get timing code advanced curious what to,do
Replace the timing chains, Tentioners, guides and Cam Phasers.

Quick Reply: Need advice on unplugging cam position sensor