Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need advice on knocking/diesel sound coming from 5.4 triton...video inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Need advice on knocking/diesel sound coming from 5.4 triton...video inside

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

I recently got an 04 5.4 and have done extensive 'googling' on the topic of these sounds and narrowed it down to probably being the cam phasers.

I purchased a warranty with the dealership and am hoping they don't mess around with this....

I can't take it in for another 2 weeks. Should I keep driving the truck or is this sound terrible and should I take it off the road until then? I've read some scary stories but those were also posted years ago.

Thanks.

Here's link to a video with the sound @ idle. Went for a quick drive before taking this. Sorry it's at night! Strictly filmed it just for the sound...

Old 10-02-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds more like an exhuast leak than the phasers. I can hear the phasers but I am pretty sure that is an exhuast leak I think the 5.4's are also known for the manifolds leaking. I am sure someone on here will know more than I do about it. I won't hurt anything driving it if thats what it is.

Later
Josh
Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a thread named " another noise besides phasers?? " search through the pages I posted it about a week ago and this may help you

Quick Reply: Need advice on knocking/diesel sound coming from 5.4 triton...video inside