Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Advice! - $2k to pull head; spark plug. Any other ideas? (New motor, etc..)

Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Sara Palin 2011!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Need Advice! - $2k to pull head; spark plug. Any other ideas? (New motor, etc..)

Took it to the dealership, and they broke the extraction tool off on the last plug. Snapped the hardened steel extraction tool.

Now they want almost two grand to pull the head, send it to be machined, and finish the job. I took it to the dealership so I wouldn't have to pull the head... i don't know..

So now I need to figure out what to do. I feel like spending that much money on an engine with 100k miles on it is kind of a waste.

I remember seeing some talk about performance engines for under $3,000.

I was hoping for some opinions from people more knowledgeable than myself.

Tomorrow I'll go talk to my mechanic (who refused to do the change himself, because of the problems) and see if he could do the job cheaper. I also have the tool kit, so maybe I'll give it a shot myself.

I dono.... figured a post was worth a shot.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Honeslty these horror stores down right urk me, to me, if the dealer or mechanic Fs up that bad its on them. Something needs to be changed in law where if someone else screws something up its there problem. I know they have a high tendentcy to break but still, come on. It wasnt like that when you took it in so its on you. I know there is nothing they can do but want money and that is sad, if I were I would scrap the motor and sell it for what you can, you may get 500-750 out of it still then go and find another motor. Not sure I would go performance but rather just a Ford crate engine, or aftermarket standard motor
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well there's Jasper engines you can look up. But they only took the 5.4 engine base and improved the components and made it better. They don't make a performance engine for it. And he quoted me "We only offer stock for your engine. Price is $4473 plus $1455 core and skid deposit plus sales tax. " I know that's not what you were looking for but figured it would help.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my engine replaced for $4300 out the door. Its wasn't a performance motor but for for 2k more I would still say it's worth checking in to for sure. I agree with you that spending that much on a motor with 100k on it is scary. My original motor went out at 82k!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Damn, that truly sucks. He screwed up and you gotta foot the bill. Feel for ya man. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for the new motor if it's only a couple grand more (I say 'only' like I got 2 grand in my couch cushions hahaha).

I needed motorwork on a Wrangler I had a few years back, the estimate was around $2k, Was able to replace the motor for $3500 instead, best decision I could have made. IMO, it's one of those situations where "If you're gonna spend ____, you might as well just spend ____ and get all new."
Old 08-05-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As the saying goes, pay a lil more now or a lot later. I would get the new one without thinking twice and be done with it.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 AM

If it was the shop's tool that broke and not your's they must eat the expense to extract the broken tool. All you are liable for is the negotiated rate for the plugs. If they broke the tool then they used a defective tool and/or they monkeyed up the procedure. This isn't a situation where they opened up the motor and subsequently found additional problems. They broke it, they should own up to their mistake.

This is similar to when a shop breaks a bolt on a routine job that they have already given you an estimate on. All the reputable ones will eat the extra labor labor it takes to extract it.

Why does anyone think the OP is responsible?
If you hire Roto-Rooter to snake your toilet and the the snake breaks loose in your septic line, are you going to pay them to extract their defective tool? I don't think so?

Contact the service manager if he refuses, be persistent. Escalate it to Ford Corporate. If that does not help, get a lawyer.

Last edited by jhight; 08-05-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Ian_T_S

as everyone else has said here...i'd go with a new crate motor. At least that way you know you're good for another 100k without and any engine problems AND all the bugs have worked out- Cam Phasers, Plugs, etc
Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM

I would be calling corporate and throwing a fit... there is know way this is your problem to fix...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Advice! - $2k to pull head; spark plug. Any other ideas? (New motor, etc..)