Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Mystery squeak/squeal...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery squeak/squeal...

Ladies and gents,

I am in need of some guidance with an issue my truck has developed. When I accelerate beyond about 30mph, I start to hear a noticeable(but not hideous) squeal-ish growl from what sounds like the passenger floorboard. There is no change to this sound during turns either direction, application of brakes, or acceleration/deceleration. The only times the tone of the sound changes is when I shift into neutral or slow down, either increasing pitch or decreasing pitch. Also when I switch into neutral, then the volume increases quite a bit. Perhaps doubling in volume.

I have tried a new IWE Solenoid with no change in condition, and the sound remains in either 2wd or 4H and no issues of engagement or disengagement of the hubs.

I'm wondering if U-joints could be the culprit, but I don't get any "clunk" when I shift into gear. Is it possible the just need to be lubed? I am back in town from my base in a few days and want to get good guidance for my technicians.

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Idler/tensioner pulleys ?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking that since the volume and frequency doesn't change with engine RPM that the pulleys would be excluded from the suspect list. With the sound being speed dependent and much louder in neutral(while coasting), I suspect it is driveline/transmission related...

Quick Reply: Mystery squeak/squeal...